OSHA Safety/Energy Committee
|Safety Committee Members||Representing Department||Contact Information|
|Singson, Beeb||Earth/Physical Sciences||8-9274|
|Solvendt, Nora||Hamersly Library||8-8158|
|Grammer, Julie||Natural Science||8-8877|
|Thibeault, Kevin||Note Taker||8-8481|
|Gredvig, Adria||Nursing Department||8-8179|
|Chiles, Rebecca||Public Safety||8-8481|
|Hill, Shirley||Student Health and Counseling||8-8250
|Finch, Rhys||Student Media||8-9697
|Ganson, Nancy||The Research Institute (TRI)||8-8808|
|Robertson, Brianna||Hamersly Library||8-8883|
|Michael Smith||Facilities Services||8-8043|
|Nick Edmiston||Facilities Services||8-8239|
|Jennifer Willard||Criminal Justice||8-8733|
|Lindsey Lavendar||Student Health and Counseling||8-8313|
Western Oregon University is committed to protecting the health and safety of its employees, students and visitors to the campus and providing a safe working and educational environment. One of the means by which this is to be accomplished is the establishment of a joint employee/management Safety Committee.
The purpose of the Committee is to bring faculty, staff and administration together in a non-adversarial, cooperative effort to promote safety and health in the campus environment. This is accomplished by reviewing safety needs as submitted by the Safety Officer and other interested staff; reviewing reports of safety hazards, accidents, and safety investigations conducted by the Safety Officer or public safety officers; make recommendations as necessary to the Vice President for Finance and Administration; and provide input and advise in the resolution of safety issues.
It is recommended there be an equal amount of classified, unclassified/faculty representatives. Representatives shall be volunteers or elected by their peers with the names submitted to the Committee for appointment. Committee names shall be presented to the President at the beginning or Fall Term. Safety Committee members will serve a continuous term of at least one year. Length of membership shall be staggered so that at least one experienced member is always serving on the Committee. The Campus Safety Officer, the Physical Plant representative, and the Human Resources representative will be ex-officio members of the Committee.
EXTENT OF AUTHORITY
The Safety Committee advises the Safety Officer and the Vice President for Finance and Administration on issues that will promote safety and health in the workplace. Written reports with the need to implement safety procedures or correct unsafe conditions will be submitted to the Safety Officer and the Vice President for Finance and Administration within ten (10) working days following the Committee’s meeting and recommendation (if applicable). The decision to file a report with administration will be by a majority vote of the Committee. The responsibility to write the report will be assigned by the Chair during the Committee meeting. The Safety Officer and the Vice President for Finance and Administration will give serious consideration to the recommendations submitted and will respond in writing to the Committee within ten (10) working days after receiving the report.
The Committee shall provide minutes of their meetings to the Safety Officer and the Vice President for Finance and Administration. A Committee member should be notified in writing by the Chair prior to the next scheduled committee meeting regarding corrections to the minutes. The Office of Human Services will post a copy of the minutes in the Administration building. Copies of the minutes will also be posted on bulletin boards, in breakrooms, and sent out via allfacstaff email. Minutes can also be found on the Safety Committee website—www.wou.edu/admin/safety
- Follow established procedures for review and advice on safety/health/hazard incidents and accidents so that recommendations can be made for appropriate corrective action to prevent recurrence.
- Recommend to the Safety Officer and the Vice President for Finance and Administration that safety/health training is provided as needed.
- Establish procedures for reviewing quarterly fire and safety inspections to identify hazards.
- Review corrective action taken by the administration.
- Include in the meeting minutes all recommendations.
- Keeping meeting minutes for four (4) years to be made available for inspection by OR-OSHA, SEIU, etc.
- Meet monthly at agreed and publicized time and location.
- Elect Chair and Secretary by majority vote.
- Formulate and distribute a copy of a written agenda for each meeting to all Committee members, the campus Safety Officer, the Vice President for Finance and Administration, and the President of the University.
- A written copy of the agenda will be sent to all faculty and staff via allfacstaff email prior to the upcoming meeting.
- Keep minutes, investigation notes and other pertinent records. Distribute a copy of the written minutes for each meeting to all Committee members, the campus Safety Officer, the Vice President for Finance and Administration, and the President of the University.
- Duties of each member:
- Report unsafe conditions and practices to the Safety Officer.
- Attend all Safety and Health meetings.
- Review reports of all accidents, near-misses and hazards.
- Recommend ideas for improving safety and health.
- Work in a safety and healthful manner: set an example.
- Observe how safety and health are practiced in the workplace.
- Complete assignments given to them by the Chair.
- Act as a work area representative in matters pertaining to health and occupational and environmental safety.
A safety conscious campus community benefits all employees. The Safety Committee and the Administration of Western Oregon University shall work together to achieve a sustained commitment to provide a safety environment for all employees, students, and visitors to campus.