Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

General Information


What kinds of programs are available?

  • Exchange programs.
  • Traditional study abroad programs.
  • Study abroad programs that include a service learning component.
  • Internships--Students gain practical work experience in their desired career area.

Explore WOU's world map to find available locations.


Why is an international experience important?

  • Experience a different culture.
  • Meet people from around the world.
  • Increase independence and self-confidence.
  • Explore places you’ve only read about.
  • Enhance your educational experience.
  • Enrich your coursework.
  • Demonstrate to prospective employers and graduate schools that you are resourceful, adventurous, internationally minded, and diverse.
  • Improve your foreign language skills.
  • Learn more about your own culture from a different perspective.
  • Realize a dream.

Where do I live while I'm abroad?

The housing options are unique to each program site.  Depending on the program, you might live

  • with a host family.
  • in a residence hall.
  • in an apartment.

What else do I need to know about WOU’s international programs?

  • You may use most forms of financial aid. 
  • You'll remain a WOU student, earning WOU credit when participating in a program WOU offers.
  • Most of your study abroad or international internship credits will fulfill major, minor, LACC or elective requirements.
  • You can choose an English speaking program or choose one where you can improve your language skills.
  • You may go abroad for just a few weeks, a quarter, a semester, or a whole year.

What if I want an international career?


Consider choosing WOU’s international studies major or minor and prepare yourself for a challenging and rewarding career.  Employers are looking for people with intercultural and second language competencies.



What if I want to do research abroad or participate in a study abroad or internship program that WOU doesn’t offer?


If you cannot fulfill your academic requirements or specific related professional goals by participating in the international programs WOU currently offers, you may complete a Petition to Participate in a Non-WOU Program.  Because WOU offers a wide array of programs that meet the majority of students' academic needs and career related goals, thoroughly review the programs that are offered prior to petitioning. If you are interested in requesting credit approval for an independent international research project, a self-arranged international internship, etc., you will need to complete the International By Arrangement Form as well as all requirements for WOU students who are going abroad.





The Office of Study Abroad phone: 503-838-8905 fax: 503-838-8338 | or e-mail:
Location: Maaske 122