Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

University Registrar

Chapter 1606: Montgomery G.I. Bill - Selected Reserve (MGI-SR)


Back to main page | Benefits | Forms | Resources | Stipend rates | W.A.V.E.


Educational program for active members of the selected reserve. Selected reserve components include:

  • Army Reserve
  • Naval Reserve
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Marine Corps Reserve
  • Coast Guard Reserve
  • Army National Guard
  • Air National Guard

The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) establish eligibility for chapter 1606. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits.



  • Currently enlisted in the Selected Reserve
    • Signed a 6-year obligation after June 30, 1985
    • Completed Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT)
    • Good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit
  • Recipients of financial assistance as a member of the Senior ROTC Program commonly known as the ROTC scholarship program are not eligible.
  • Recipients of military tuition assistance that are less than half time attendees are not eligible.

back to top



  • 36 months of benefits under chapter 1606.
  • Limited to 48 months of combined benefits under multiple educational assistance programs administered by Veterans' Administration.
  • Eligibility ends 14 years from your beginning date of eligibility, or on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.
    • Eligibility may be extended if you are mobilized or recalled to active duty from your reserve status. In this case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized plus four months (so even if you leave the reserves after mobilization you may have additional eligibility to the G.I. Bill).

back to top



  • Monthly stipend
    • Payment is made to the student at the end of each month.
      • Payment is usually sent via direct deposit based on the information you provided to the VA with your application.
      • Check your monthly payment rate.
      • Effective August 1, 2011, break or interval pay is no longer payable under any VA education benefit program unless under an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency, such as a natural disaster or strike. Entitlement that previously would have been used for break pay will be available for use during future enrollment periods.
    • Advance pay will provide pay for the first two months.
      • Advance pay is sent in the form of a check to the school about 30 days before the start of the term.
      • To be eligible for advance pay you must not be eligible for break pay. (Most students at WOU are only eligible for Advance Pay for Fall term.)
      • You must still verify your enrollment on W.A.V.E. at the end of each month.
      • Keep in mind that since the first two months were paid in advance you will not see another stipend until after the conclusion of the third month.
    • If you do not receive your stipend check the following:
      • Did you complete your Certification Request? It usually takes the VA around 30 days to process certifications. If you submitted your request during the first week of the term it is likely to delay your first payment. We recommend submitting your request as soon as you register for classes.
      • Did you verify your enrollment on W.A.V.E.? The VA will not submit your payment to the Department of Treasury until you verify that your enrollment for the month. The earliest you may verify enrollment for the month is the last day of the month.
      • Call the Veterans' Clerk to ensure that your certification was completed and that we were not waiting for anything from you to complete your request. (Common delays include: needing to apply for graduation, needing a course substitution form, needing to declare major or minor.)
      • Check with the VA (1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551) to ensure your direct deposit and address information is current.
  • 1606 kicker
    • An additional amount, called a kicker, may be added to the benefit of some chapter 1606 students. A chapter 1606 kicker may be a part of the original enlistment contract or part of a re-enlistment contract.
    • If members believe there is an error in the kicker, they should call VA about the discrepancy at 1-888-GIBILL1 and check with the Education Officer in their Unit.
  • Tutorial assistance
    • $100 per month maximum not to exceed $1,200 in total.
    • No entitlement charge for the first $600.
    • More information.
  • Licensing or certification test
    • One time payment not to exceed the lesser of cost of test or $2,000.
    • Entitlement will be charged.
    • The test must be approved for VA benefits; more information on how to obtain benefits for tests.
  • Tuition assistance
    • All Regular Active and Reserve Soldiers, members of the Active Guard Reserve and Reserve Component Soldiers who are activated under U.S. Code Title 10 or Title 32 (officers, warrant officers, enlisted) will request tuition assistance through GoArmyEd (subject to qualifying criteria).
    • National Guard Soldiers in drilling status do not access tuition assistance through GoArmyEd. Instead tuition assistance is obtained through the National Guard.
    • Tuition Assistance is handled through the Educational Officer in your Unit. As specific rules depend on the type of Tuition Assistance it is best to refer all questions to your Unit's Educational Officer.
    • Arrangements for payment of tuition are made with Marilyn Hoeckle in the Business Office.
  • Voyager Tuition Waiver
    • Awarded through Financial Aid of OUS institutions.
    • Eligibility requirements:
      • Guard and Reservists must have been called to active duty since September 11, 2001 and stationed in an area of combat.
      • Receiving Oregon resident tuition rate.
      • Be a full-time fully admitted student seeking initial undergraduate degree.
      • Receiving $4,500 in tuition assistance from the National Guard program.
      • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
      • Completed the FAFSA.

back to top



Application for VA Benefits: on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • Once your application has been processed, you will receive a letter explaining VA’s decision regarding your eligibility for the program.

Change of Place of Training or Program: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you have already been approved to receive VA benefits and you wish to change schools.
  • Also students who change programs and current course work will not apply to the new program need to complete this form.
  • This form does not need to be submitted to the VA but can be kept on file at the school.

Enrollment Notification: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • Used to inform the Certifying Official at WOU regarding your educational program and your contact information.
  • You may only receive Veterans' Benefits for courses that are required for your program.
  • We will use the contact information you provide to contact you in the event that courses you request certification for do not appear to be required, there are changes in Veterans' Benefits we feel will affect you, or for questions regarding your educational program.
  • The address you provide will be the one we provide to the VA every time we notify them of your enrollment.

Requirements for VA Benefits at WOU: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • People have various notions of their responsibilities while receiving VA Benefits. We want to ensure everyone understand what is required of them so that all benefits can be processed and paid in a timely manor.

Certification Request: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • Please submit this form to the Veterans' Clerk every term to request that we notify the VA of your enrollment directly after you register for classes.
  • This form is also used to give you a chance to tell us how each class is necessary for your degree program or any special information regarding your classes (such as classes taken at a different school, and classes with special course dates).
  • Your enrollment will not be sent to the VA until this form is received and any discrepancies are resolved.

Verify Enrollment: W.A.V.E.

  • Every month you must verify your enrollment with the VA. You will not receive your pay until you verify your enrollment.
  • You may verify on-line or over the phone at 1-877-823-2378.

Direct Deposit: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you wish to request a change to your direct deposit information.
  • This form is not necessary for a new applicant as it is included in the application.

back to top


Additional Resources for Chapter 1606 Recipients

Benefit Comparison Tool

Chapter 1606 Reserve GI Bill Pamphlet

Licensing & Certification - National Tests

Transcripts - JST

Troops to Teachers

Tuition Assistance - GoArmyEd

Tuition Assistance - National Guard

Tutorial Assistance

VFW Scholarship


back to top


Contact Information for Veterans' Educational Benefits

WOU Veterans' Representative

Registrar's Office

Western Oregon University

345 N. Monmouth Ave.

Monmouth, OR 97361

ph: (503) 838-8183; fax: (503) 838-9696



Veterans' Affairs

1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551



University Registrar ph: (503) 838-8327; fax: (503) 838-9696 | or e-mail:

MissionWestern Oregon University | 345 N. Monmouth Ave. | Monmouth OR 97361 | 503-838-8000 | Admissions 1-877-877-1593 | Text only Remote IP: ((none!))