Commencement Page | Participants | Marching Order | Streaming Video (during event)
- April 2013 – Graduation Packet Mailed – Dated Responses Required
- Wednesday, May 15, 2013 – Forms A & B must be returned to the Registrar’s Office in order for your name to be included in the processional, the program, and publicity releases. Form C must be returned if you wish to insure proper pronunciation of your name.
- Wednesday, May 29, 2013 – The list of Commencement participants will be posted on the Registrar’s homepage at http://www.wou.edu/provost/registrar/commencement/.
- Wednesday, May 29, 2013 – Alternative formats of the Commencement program are available by request. Contact Nancy Minnick in Campus Public Safety (503-838-8049).
- May/June 2013 – Exit Survey: This is an opportunity to share your future plans with WOU and help WOU maintain and improve its services for present and future students. Please take a few minutes to complete this survey at:
- June 2013 – If you have ever received a Federal Direct Stafford Loan or Federal Perkins Loan while at WOU, you must complete loan exit counseling. You may complete Federal Direct Stafford Loan exit counseling on-line at www.nslds.ed.gov. You can contact the Financial Aid Office at (503) 838-8475 if you are unable to complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan exit counseling on-line.
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013 – Veterans' Cords: Last day to pick up Veterans' cords from the Veterans' Clerks in room 104 of the Registrar's Office. For eligibility information please contact the Veterans' Clerks at 503-838-8183.
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013 – Special Seating and Accommodations: Guests with special needs who cannot sit in the bleacher seats can be accommodated in a reserved area. Seating is also available for the deaf and hard of hearing, with sign language interpretation and assistive listening devices available. Receivers for the assistive listening devices may be checked out at the south information table loacated at the south gate entrance. Contact Nancy Minnick in Campus Public Safety (503-838-8049) for the desired accommodations.
- Wednesday, June 12, 2013 – The processional order will be posted on the Registrar's homepage at http://www.wou.edu/provost/registrar/commencement/. The number assigned to you indicates your position in line. Graduates are in order according to degree earned. If you find that you cannot be present for the ceremony as planned, please notify the Registrar’s Office as soon as possible.
- Friday, June 14, 2013 – All accounts receivable must be paid, or arrangements made with the Business Office, or your diploma and transcripts will be placed on hold.
Saturday June 15, 2013
Parking is available on any campus lot, except Lot G (stadium lot), or on the street. Permits are not required.
- 8:00am – 10:00am - If you have not yet done so, pick up your cap and gown in the WOU Bookstore, 503-838-8300. (Please do not wait until Saturday unless absolutely necessary.)
- You may not participate in the Commencement ceremony without a cap and gown.
- 10:00am -Line-up begins in the NPE Gym. DO NOT BE LATE! The area is not secure so please leave purses and personal items with guests.
- Honors cords will be distributed to the appropriate students by the Registrar’s Office personnel in charge of each row.
- 10:40am - Names will be deleted from the list of those participating for any one who is not in their proper place in line!
- 10:50am -Processional begins. Watch the Faculty Marshals!
- Occupy seats as directed by the Marshals. DO NOT allow late arrivals to take a place in line once the processional has begun. DO NOT fill in the seat assigned to a student not present. Students arriving late must report to the NPE Gym.
- 11:00am -Commencement ceremonies begin.
The ceremony will begin with the conferring of Bachelor’s degrees followed by the Master’s degrees. When so directed, all persons receiving the designated degree will rise and remain standing. The first row will face left and proceed to the foot of the ramp at the north end of the platform. The leader will then proceed across the platform to receive the diploma case, leave the platform, return to his/her assigned seat and be seated. The next person in line should remain on the ramp until the preceding person has received the diploma case, then move up the ramp while his/her name is announced. Succeeding persons will follow in order. As one row of participants clears the row of seats, the next row will rise, face left, and follow the preceding line of participants as directed by the Faculty Marshals.
- Tassels on caps are to be worn on the RIGHT side and are to remain there until you have received your diploma case. You may then move your tassel to the LEFT side to signify your accomplishment.
- 1:30pm - Commencement ceremonies end and the recessional takes place.
The front row will leave first as directed by the Faculty Marshals.
- 1:45pm - Reception for graduates and guests in the Grove, weather permitting. The alternate site is the Pacific Room of the Werner University Center.
Photographs and Video: The 2013 Commencement Ceremony will be available on High Definition Blu-Ray ($12) or Standard Definition DVD ($6), plus shipping. Shipping anywhere in the U.S. is FREE. Canada/Mexico is an additional $2, other countries $5. Order forms and payment can be done at the WOU bookstore. Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery after event. Grad Images will also take photos of graduates as they receive their degrees. Commencement will be shown live on Cable Channel 17 in Monmouth-Independence.
Diplomas: Upon completion of all requirements, Spring term 2013 graduates will receive their diplomas within approximately 10 weeks of Commencement.