- Contact the Sponsored Research Office early for assistance in preparing your proposal budget, obtaining up-to-date information about WOU, setting up of access for electronic submittals, and other assistance as requested. We know the university policies about effort, benefits, cost sharing, subcontracts, travel, etc. and will assist you in incorporating these into your proposal.
- Complete the WOU Intent to Submit form. This form documents your anticipated needs which allows the Sponsored Research Office to assist you more fully. It also alerts us to the requirements of submission to ensure WOU compliance.
- At least three days prior to the submission deadline, complete the WOU External Funding Routing Form. This form incorporates required federal, state and WOU certifications. Prior to submittal to Sponsored Research this form must be signed by the Principal Investigator(s), Division Chair(s), and College Dean(s). If your proposal involves multiple investigators, the form must be signed by all involved divisions and colleges.
- Only the Sponsored Research Office is authorized to sign proposals and agreements on behalf of WOU. Do not sign any submittal certifications on behalf of the institution.
- It is your responsibility to comply with required human protections through the Institutional Review Board .
WOU Proposal Development and Submission Flowchart
The Proposal Development and Submission Flowchart indicates the process to be used in the development and submission of externally funded grant proposals. Click to download the WOU Proposal Development and Submission Flowchart in pdf format.
Required Grant Approval Forms
Intent to Submit
When you identify an agency, foundation, or private organization to which you wish to submit a proposal for funding, you must submit an Intent to Submit form to the Sponsored Research Office, Todd Hall 101. It is institutional policy not to allow multiple grant proposals to be submitted to private and some public agencies in a single grant cycle without prior authorization. Please download the Intent to Submit form, complete it using Microsoft Word, print it out, and send it to the Sponsored Research Office (Todd 101).
Download the Intent to Submit form
WOU External Funding Proposal Routing Form
The WOU External Funding Proposal Routing Form is the primary means for gaining institutional approval for an externally funded grant and without it an account cannot be setup. It is a multi-page Word document containing proposal details such as Principal Investigator (PI) and Project Director (PD), sponsor information, amount requested, and cost share or match information. It must be signed by the Principal Investigator, Division Chair, and Dean. Once these three signatures have been obtained, the clearance can be sent, along with the abstract, budget, and proposal narrative, to the Sponsored Research Office for final approval and signatures. The WOU Routing Form must be submitted to the Sponsored Research Office at least 3 business days prior to submittal.
Download the WOU External Funding Proposal Routing Form.
Need more information or assistance please contact Dr. Ella Taylor