A Quick Sketch of Campus Buildings
Sketches of campus buildings from the late
1970s by Neal Werner
These sketches of buildings on the
Western Oregon State University campus were created for the College
Center around the time of the 1986 renovation by the then director Neal
Werner. We refer to these as sketches rather than drawings because of
the unusual medium. Created with a Sharpie Marker on masonite, they
retain a temporary feel. The sketches hung in the Pacific room until
the building’s most recent renovation in 2000.
Neal Werner, a musician, artist and
active student advocate, came to the Monmouth campus 1980 and was eventually
promoted to director of the College Center. After his untimely death
in 1988, the building was renamed Werner College Center in his honor.
more information on the buildings see the archive webpage
Physical Education - Built: 1971
PE was built to augment the space and amenities of Old PE built
CURRENT USES: New PE
offers a gym, gymnastic facilities, indoor tennis courts, and
a multi-purpose surface that accommodates baseball and softball
practices as well as basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, tennis,
and soccer. Additionally, New PE contains education and health
classrooms and athletic offices. The building can seat over 3,000
- Built: 1980
Playing surface replaced: 1987
McArthur Field was
built to replace Memorial Stadium which burned to the ground in
spectacular fashion in 1979.
McArthur Field underwent
modernization by Rekortan Sports Corp. of Seattle, who also built
the track for the Los Angeles Olympic Games. The football field,
built by volunteers from the football team and the Oregon National
Guard, was one of the first of its kind. The field is a flat surface
rather than a crowned one and is able to drain nine inches of
rain per hour. The track features a world-class surface such as
those used during the Seoul Olympic Games. The facility is named
after Coach William McArthur, multi-sport coach and football head
coach from 1947-1982.
CURRENT USES: McArthur
Field is home to the athletic field and track. In addition, McArthur
Field features a fully-equipped weight room.
and Social Science - Built: 1964-65
Humanities and Social Sciences building was built to replace the
south wing of Campbell Hall destroyed in the Columbus Day Storm
of 1962. The Carillon, an Alumni Association gift, was added on
May 2, 1965 to commemorate the Bell Tower of Campbell Hall that
stood in approximately the same location prior to its destruction.
CURRENT USES: HSS houses
the classrooms and the offices of the Humanities and Social Sciences
Departments. The building contains 34,948 square feet of floor
Science - Built:1969
Science was built as a classroom and laboratory building for the
science department. Until completion of the Natural Sciences Building,
science classes were taught on the third floor of the Administration
Building, and prior to that in Campbell Hall.
CURRENT USES: The Natural
Sciences building houses the chemistry, biology, and geology departments.
Offices, classrooms, and state-of-the-art labs are all housed
in the Natural Sciences. The Natural Sciences building has a rooftop
greenhouse and a basement cadaver lab.
- Built: 1964-1965
Constructed as a dormitory, Butler Hall was opened for students
in September, 1965. The building dedication was performed on May
6, 1966 during Alumni Day. During the ceremony, a framed picture
of J.B.V. Butler was hung in the dormitory.
CURRENT USES: Butler Hall is one of the University’s
coeducational dormitory buildings. Butler and Gentle Hall house
approximately 75 junior and senior students in 24,641 square feet.
Butler Hall is named in honor of J.B.V. Butler. Butler, born in
Monmouth in 1862, was a graduate of Oregon Normal (class of 1884),
teacher, Dean of Men at OCE, Secretary of the Board of Regent
of Normal Schools, librarian, registrar, and an acting president
of OCE during his educational career.
Auditorium - Built: 1976
Rice was built as a
cultural entertainment center for Western Oregon University and
the towns of Monmouth and Independence. Scarce funds in 1971 delayed
the building project. Due to budget constraints the art wing,
balcony, and classrooms were never built. The Little Theatre had
been condemned as a fire hazard, so a new building was required.
Prior to the Little Theater, productions were held in Campbell
Hall but the Columbus Day Storm of 1962 destroyed the South Wing
which contained the stage facilities.
CURRENT USES: Seating
619 people, Rice is one of the state’s finest mid-sized performance
facilities. Major theater, dance, public speaking, and musical
productions at the university are held in Rice Auditorium's 26,000
square feet. Rice Auditorium is home to the Smith Fine Arts Series,
bringing talented performers and audiences to the area each year.
The theater is said to be the home of the ghost of George Harding,
a former Western theater professor. Harding's ghost is friendly
but loves to play with the lighting in the theater. Rice Auditorium
is named after the former university president Leonard Rice who
was instrumental in the building project.
Elementary - Built: 1915
Renovations and Additions: 1949, 1959, 1962, 1986
In the late 1880s,
a wooden structure was built to house the College’s model school
and provide training for future teachers. The model school facility
was Monmouth’s only school until completion of Monmouth High School
in 1911. After the high school was built, the model school housed
only the elementary students (K-8). In 1915, ONS constructed a
new building for the Training School which later became the ITC
building. Two annexes were added to the building in 1949 and the
name changed to Monmouth Training School. After the completion
on the Monmouth Elementary School in 1964, the name was changed
to College Elementary School (CES) to avoid confusion. In 1986,
CES vacated the building to make way for the building rededication
as the university’s Instructional Technology Center (ITC).
CURRENT USES: The building
now houses the university’s computer and audio/visual centers
in addition to office space and classrooms. Over the front doors
is the quote “He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.”
The subject of some controversy, the quotation has been attributed
to librarian John Cotton Dana who initially suggested it for a
New Jersey teachers training college in 1912.
Since 1968, the Homecoming
Queen has planted a rose bush in the Queen’s Rose Garden. Until
1980, the roses were planted near the pergola and decorative wall
behind Todd Hall that once hid the physical plant and root cellar
from view. Current Homecoming Queens now plant their roses by
the west entrance to the Werner University center.
- Built: 1966
Education Department was housed in Swindel Hall prior to the completion
of the new General Laboratory and Office Building or GLOB, the
name initially given to the Education Building.
CURRENT USES: The Education
Building houses the College of Education and the regional Resource
Center on Deafness. Most education and sign language classes are
held in the Education building. The Center on Deafness and the
College of Education are nationally recognized and has been awarded
numerous honors and grants.
Center - Built: 1960 Renovated: 1972, 1986, 1996-2000
The Student Center
was built to replace Maple Hall. Built in 1914, Maple Hall was
simply too small and poorly designed for a student center. Initially,
the building was called the Student Center-Commons. By the 1970s,
the name had changed to the College Center. Werner University
Center was built as a student activities center. Until the completion
of Valsetz Dining Hall in 1971, this building housed the university's
CURRENT USES: The Werner
University Center is the hub of student activities on campus.
Werner University Center features a game room, computer lab, coffee
shop, bookstore, snack bar, food court, and rooms for movie screenings
and meetings. Student Leadership and Activities, Student Government,
Student Media, Career Services, Disability Services, and Non-Traditional
Student Services are all located in the University Center. The
name was changed to Werner College Center in 1989 to honor Neal
Werner. Werner was the College Center director and key advocate
for an expanded and remodeled student center. The convict-made
bricks in the sidewalk on the south side of the Werner building
were salvaged from the demolished smokestack of the old physical
plant which once stood behind Todd Hall.
Sketches normally reside in the University Archives and can be viewed
by appointment. Contact Camila
LOCATION: 2rd floor
Curators: Jerrie Lee Parpart and Ruth Weston
Return to Main Exhibitions
Return to Library Home
This page was modified
March 10, 2008