CONSTRUCTION DATES: Watson House was constructed in 1910 and purchased
by the University in 1968.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Unknown, but probably by the Watson family. Rainbow
Construction of Salem was hired to move Watson House two separate times
for the University.
COSTS: Watson House was purchased for approximately $30,000.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Watson House is a wood frame house. No
information on an architect is available.
CURRENT USES: University Public Safety is currently located in Watson
House. The main campus lost and found is also in Watson House.
HISTORY: The University acquired Watson House from Alvin Watson in 1968.
Nicknamed The People Place, the building housed a tutoring and crisis
center. Students were able to receive help on classes or other problems
from the staff of the center. Soda and snacks were provided. In 1975,
Watson House was designated as the Academic Re-entry Center for older
students. Later, tutoring services returned to Watson House. In 1998,
Watson House was moved from its location on Monmouth Avenue near the Public
Safety Academy to Stadium Drive and became the University Public Safety
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Watson house was moved from its previous location
on Monmouth Avenue to Stadium drive in 1998 to make space for the new
library and to be closer to the residence halls . Watson House was also
moved in 1978 to make room for new construction.