Edgar H. Smith Music Hall (SH)
CONSTRUCTION DATES: Construction on the music hall was started in 1958 and the building was dedicated on January 25, 1959.
REMODEL: It is unknown if any major renovations have been completed in Smith.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Cascade Contractors of Eugene built the facility.
COSTS: The building was completed on a budget of $230,000.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: The firm of Annand, Boone, and Lei were responsible for the architectural plans of the new building.
CURRENT USES: The music department still resides in Smith Hall.
HISTORY: When built, the music hall could hold 216 people in its 14,280 square feet of floor space. Included in the building are lecture and recital halls, rehearsal room, four combination office-studios, 10 practice rooms, and other rooms. Until completion of the new music hall, the department was located in Wolverton House which was demolished in 1959 with the opening of the new facility.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: The music hall was renamed in 1987 to honor Edgar Smith, former chairperson of the music department and faculty member from 1954-1978. Smith was also the chair of the creative arts department in 1977.