CONSTRUCTION DATES: The Old PE building was constructed in 1936. Wolverton Poll was added to the structure in 1955.
REMODEL: The building was renovated when the Wolverton Pool was installed in the facility in 1955. Other remodels or renovations are unknown.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Quigley Brothers of Portland were retained as the construction contractors for the project.
COSTS: The initial construction of the Old PE Building cost approximately $54,000.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: John Bennes, of Portland, designed the brick with stone building to blend in with the older structures on campus.
CURRENT USES: Racquetball and handball courts, a multi-use gymnasium, classrooms, and Wolverton Pool are offered for use in the building. Old PE is still home to the football program.
HISTORY: Old PE replaced Maple Hall as the center of the school’s athletic activities and events. By the time of construction, the school had outgrown the facilities available in Maple Hall. In 1971, the New PE building replaced Old PE as the primary athletic events center.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Prior to the construction of Wolverton Pool the intramural swim team held its competitions in the Willamette River.
Hamersly Library 503-838-8418 | firstname.lastname@example.org