Maaske Hall (MA)
CONSTRUCTION DATES: Construction was started in 1955 and the dedication was held April 8, 1956.
REMODEL: Maaske Hall underwent a massive remodeling project in 1988. The renovation included heating, plumbing, and electrical systems.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Claude Buerge of Albany was the lead contractor on the three story building.
COSTS: Maaske Hall was completed for $300,000, or a cost of $3,000 per resident, a cost considered to be exceptionally low for a building of this type.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: James J. Gathercoal was the lead architect on Maaske Hall.
CURRENT USES: Maaske houses the International Students and Scholars Affairs Office and the Criminal Justice Department faculty offices, as well as a prayer and meditation room.
HISTORY: Maaske was built as a men’s residence hall and later absorbed into the police academy with the opening of Campus Estates. Maaske Hall was designed to house 100 students in 50 rooms. Maaske was closed as a dormitory in 1972 due to declining dorm enrollment. The space was used by the Regional Resource Center for the Deaf and music faculty members displaced by construction.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Maaske Hall was named in honor of Roben J. Maaske, a former president of the university. Maaske was instrumental in acquiring the new residence hall.