Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance


Hamersly Library

Building - Humanities and Social Sciences Bellamy Hall

Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS)


CONSTRUCTION DATES: Work on the Bellamy Hall (HSS) building started on March 5, 1964 and was finished for the winter term of 1965.

 

REMODEL: Bellamy Hall (HSS), as it is often called, is currently undergoing significant remodeling that includes earthquake proofing the building.

 

CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: Paul B. Emerick Company of Portland was the main contractor and Valley Concrete and Gravel of Independence supplied the rock and concrete for the job.

 

COSTS: Bellamy Hall (HSS) building cost $652,000 when construction finished in 1965.

 

ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Bellamy Hall (HSS) was designed in the modern approach to architecture by university facility members Paul F. Griffin and Ronald L. Chatham.

 

CURRENT USES: Bellamy Hall (HSS) houses the classrooms and the offices of the Humanities and Social Sciences Departments. The building contains 34,948 square feet of floor space.

 

HISTORY: Bellamy Hall (HSS) building was built to replace the south wing of Campbell Hall destroyed in the Columbus Day Storm of 1962.

 

OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: The Carillon was added on May 2, 1965 to commemorate the Bell Tower of Campbell Hall that stood in approximately the same location prior to its destruction. The Carillon was an Alumni Association gift.

Contact

Hamersly Library Hamersly Library 503-838-8418 | libweb@wou.edu

MissionWestern Oregon University | 345 N. Monmouth Ave. | Monmouth OR 97361 | 503-838-8000(V/TTY) | Admissions 1-877-877-1593 | webmaster@wou.edu Text only
sandman-127 Remote IP: 54.227.62.141 ((none!))