CONSTRUCTION DATES: Gentle Hall was built in 1966 and dedicated on May
6, 1967 at the OCE Alumni Day festivities.
REMODEL: Information on any significant remodel of Gentle Hall is unavailable.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: The general contractor for
the construction of Gentle Hall was the Lorentz Bruun Company of Portland.
COSTS: When finished, Gentle Hall sported a $375,000
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Gentle Hall was
designed to from a cohesive stylistic grouping of dorms with Butler, Barnum,
and Lander Halls. As with the other buildings, Payne and Settecase were
retained as architects for the project.
CURRENT USES: Gentle Hall and its 24,619 square feet are home to 77 coeducational
students each year.
HISTORY: Gentle Hall was built as a women’s dormitory and initially
held up to 144 students in apartment-style residences. Gentle, Butler,
Barnum, and Landers Halls ring Valsetz Dining Hall and are the geographic
center of residential campus life .
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Gentle Hall was named after Thomas H. Gentle,
head of the Training School and the training program from 1911 to 1928.
Gentle has been characterized as a master teacher and was influential