REMODEL: There are no recorded renovation projects of a substantial size for The Cottage.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: The Cottage was built by Hoover and McNeil who, at the same time, were working on the additions to the Chapel in Campbell Hall.
COSTS: There are no available cost estimates for The Cottage.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: The Cottage was designed by John V. Bennes in the Old English Norman style. The Cottage along with Campbell Hall and Jessica Todd Hall form a cohesive stylistic group of buildings at the University’s center.
HISTORY: The Cottage, also known as The Senior Cottage, was used as a residence hall for 57 years. The Cottage featured 13 dorm rooms that housed 26 women. Residents of The Cottage were chosen by the Dean of Women and had to meet certain academic and social requirements. The Cottage was often called the Honor House due to the entrance requirements. In September of 1970, the offices of the Dean of Students were moved into The Cottage ending its use as a dorm.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: The Senior Cottage was built solely with funds created by dormitory profits. In 1939, the fate of the Cottage was in question and proposals were floated to transform The Cottage into a student union building used for meeting, offices, and lounges. The Cottage, noted as a small cultured home-style dorm, survived as a dorm until 1970. The ghost of Jessica Todd is said to occasionally visit the dorm she helped build.
Hamersly Library 503-838-8418 | email@example.com