Campbell Hall (CH)
CONSTRUCTION DATES: Campbell Hall was built in four stages. The first was started in 1871 with money raised by the new college president, T.F. Campbell. In 1889 the south wing and bell tower were completed, again without state money. In 1898, the north wing was built, including the library which served the college until 1951. The final stage of building was in 1917 when the when the second floor of the south wing was expanded for more auditorium and administrative areas.
REMODEL: The State Legislature approved a restoration project for the aging and decaying building in 1993. The difficult renovation and remodel was done by McBride Architects and several contractors at a cost $4.3 million. The restoration was finished in 1995 and celebrated with a ribbon cutting ceremony.
CONSTRUCTION COMPANY: There is no information on the builders of Campbell Hall. It was most likely built by members of the Disciples of Christ and the school.
COSTS: There are no cost estimates for the original Campbell Hall.
ARCHITECTS AND BUILDING STYLE: Campbell Hall was built in the Gothic Revival style. There is no specific information on the architect of the building.
CURRENT USES: Since 1962, Campbell Hall has housed the art department, darkrooms, and galleries in addition to several classrooms.
HISTORY: Campbell Hall was the first building dedicated solely to the college. Prior to Campbell Hall, also known throughout the years as the Brick College, Main Building, and Administration Building, the college met in a church just south of Campbell Hall’s location. Initially, the entire college campus was Campbell Hall. As new buildings were built on campus Campbell Hall, although still the centerpiece of campus, became less important to the day to day operation of the college. Functions such as administration, music, science, theater, humanities, and others soon found homes in the new buildings.
OTHER INTERESTING FACTS: Campbell Hall is the oldest building on WOU's Campus. Sometime prior to 1882, Campbell caught fire. No official record exists of the event, but charred timbers and roof sheathing tell the story. The collapse of the Bell Tower during the October 12, 1962 Columbus Day Storm was photographed by Wes Luchau and featured on the cover of Life magazine. The south wing also suffered extensive damage and had to be demolished. The Humanities and Social Sciences building replaced the south wing of Campbell. Campbell Hall is the oldest building in the Oregon public higher education system and was the first old building in Oregon to have a state-of-the-art earthquake-resistant foundation. Campbell Hall was named for university presidents T.F. Campbell and his son P.L. Campbell. The men were both instrumental in the construction of Campbell Hall and its additions. The building had to be evacuated several times in 1990s before the renovations because of the deteriorating condition of the structure.