Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

International Education & Development

Housing Options in Monmouth/Independence Oregon


On-campus housing


University Housing and Residence Halls

Western offers on-campus housing in residence halls. The modern residence halls provide a variety of living arrangements including traditional residence hall rooms for two students, apartment style units housing up to four students, and townhouses for students who are married or have children.


The University Housing and Campus Dining website has information about the on campus residence halls, costs, options for families, housing applications and meal plans.


Residence Hall Information in Chinese: 西俄勒冈大学宿舍信息


Off-campus housing


For students wishing to live off-campus, there are a number of apartments and living arrangements available in the community. These accommodations are privately owned and arrangements must be made individually. Costs range from around $250 to $600 per month.


WOU Housing Forum

This forum is where Western students post that they are looking for a roommate or have a room for rent. This website is safe since only people with a WOU account can use it.


To log in, you will need your username and password to log into the WOU website.


Trulia is a free real estate resource that compiles and provides real estate information with detailed graphical neighborhood data so students can view available rentals, commute times, affordability, points of interest, etc.

Below are links to both Monmouth and Independence:







Navigate to: United States-Oregon-Salem-Housing

Craigslist is a great website used for finding housing, selling items, or finding activities. However, it has many scams (people will try and get your money or lie to you) and can be dangerous so please use caution when contacting someone. In housing, it is a good idea to exchange e-mails with the person you are interested in housing with to see what their lifestyle, or personality is like. Never give your credit card or bank information to someone over the internet.


Apartment Manager List and Real Estate Agent

The Off Campus Housing Referral document lists local apartment’s managers and companies that have listings of houses or apartments for rent. This is a good option if you have a roommate that you want to rent with or if you know you will be staying the entire calendar year (leases are usually for 12 months).


Homestay Family

We have a few American families that are interested in renting a room out to an international student. Please contact Ermie Buncal if you are interested in this option.




International Education & Development ph:503-838-8425 fax:503-838-8338 | or e-mail:

MissionWestern Oregon University | 345 N. Monmouth Ave. | Monmouth OR 97361 | 503-838-8000 | Admissions 1-877-877-1593 | Text only Remote IP: ((none!))