Currently WOU only accepts visiting scholars from partner institutions with which there is a joint program or exchange program. If your institution is interested in connecting with WOU, please contact Director Neng Yang.
Things to consider before applying:
- Visiting Scholars are encouraged to look at the Academic Programs WOU has to offer. Understand the program, classes offered, and any limitations in regards to your research plan.
- When designing a Research Plan, review the WOU website and the academic department you are interested in joining. Think about what classes you would like to sit-in on, and about what goals can be reached while at WOU.
- When deciding the dates of when to attend WOU, make sure you allow enough time for your application to be processed (3 -4 weeks or longer), for international mailing (3 weeks) and for the visa interview. We recommend that you apply at least 4 to 5 months in advance.
- If your dependent (spouse or child) plans to accompany you, they are required to arrive in the U.S. after you have settled in and have started your research plan.
- Please review the information on the Visiting Scholar Orientation Page.
Note: WOU academic units/departments need to follow the international visiting scholar approval procedure and to fill the Host Request Form (see PDF document below) if they wish to invite an international visiting scholar.
Required supporting documents:
The following are required documents for issuing a DS-2019, immigration document for J-1 Exchange Visitors:
- Host Request Form
- Visiting Scholar Application Form
- Academic and professional resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Detailed research plan and academic goals while at Western Oregon University
- Copy of Visiting Scholar’s passport
- An official financial affidavit from the visiting scholar’s institution or government agency (Sample). The financial affidavit must indicate the amount of support in USD, beginning date and ending date of support, and the nature of support (such as the room and board, international airfare, health insurance, etc.). Please review the Estimated Program Costs information below. An additional original bank statement in the scholar's name may be submitted to prove additional financial support for dependents or an extension.
- Living expenses such as room, board, and insurance are estimated at a minimum of around $1,000 per month. Therefore if you wish to be a Visiting Scholar for one academic year (9 months), you need to show funds of at least $9,000 USD. Please note that costs may vary by individual or program and are subject to change without notification.