Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

International Education & Development



Return to Immigration Forms and Information page.


All Students Leaving WOU Must Do the Following:

  • Submit the Departure Notice form online or in person to the OIED office and meet with an international student advisor.
  • Submit the OIED Exit Survey online at
  • Withdraw from any classes registered for (approval will need to be given from OIED before notifying the Registrar’s office).
  • Verify in Wolf Web or at the Cashier’s office that your account has a $0 balance before leaving. Pay any money owed and make sure to collect a refund for any insurance payment made.
  • Submit the Request for Withdrawal from WOU form to the Registrars office.
  • If working on campus, notify your employer and give the Payroll office at least 5 business days notice to print your final check. Do not work during these 5 days.
  • If living in the residence halls, students must inform the University Housing office of their departure and properly check out of the room to avoid any fees due to improper check-out.
  • If receiving an ICSP scholarship, contact Ambre Plahn at

Other Responsibilities:

Find your situation in the left column of the table below, then follow the relevant information.









I am graduating

  • Contact the evaluation department in the Registrar’s office to apply for and confirm graduation at least 3 terms before the expected graduation term. This may require a meeting with your major academic advisor.
  • Contact the OIED office and inform them of your graduation term. If you will take less than full time classes your final term (under 12 credits as an undergraduate student or 9 credits as a graduate student) you will need to complete a Reduced Course Load form at the beginning of the term.
  • During your last term, check with your professors if your grade in the class is passing or be prepared to extend your SEVIS record if you will not graduate by the end date on your I-20/DS-2019. You must file for an I-20/DS-2019 extension before the end date or apply for reinstatement.
  • If you plan to apply for Optional Practical Training, Academic Training, change your immigration status, or change education levels (apply to a Masters or PhD program), understand that it takes 2+ months to get approved so plan and apply early.

I am transferring to another school

  • Before the start of the term you plan to transfer, read the transfer information, complete the departure paperwork and the transfer-out form.
  • Usually the new school will require the student and the current international student advisor to complete a “Transfer-In form”. Give the form to the WOU International Student Advisor to fill out and fax to the transfer school.
  • Submit the acceptance letter from the new school to the OIED office by fax, email or drop off in Maaske Hall.
  • If you are funded by the Cultural Mission, notify them of the transfer and submit the new financial guarantee for the new school to OIED for confirmation of transfer acceptance.
  • Confirm that you will start attendance at the new school by the next available term, or within 5 months of taking full time classes (whichever is sooner).
  • After the transfer release date, you will need to contact your new school to issue a new I-20 or DS-2019. Employment authorization on and off campus ends at this time.
  • Any student holding a J-1 visa who wishes to transfer to a new school needs to meet with an International Student Advisor.



I am leaving and not returning to WOU


(Withdrawing from WOU)

  • Contact the OIED office and inform them of your withdrawal or leave of absence. After the departure paperwork is completed, the OIED office will give permission to the international student to drop any current or future classes.
  • The student must complete an application for withdrawal from the University, obtain the necessary signatures, and return the form to the Registrar’s office.
  • Contact the Cashier’s office to receive any refund of tuition and fees (if during the term).
  • Visit the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs for an exit interview.
  • Depart the U.S. within 14 days.

I am leaving for a while but plan to return


(Leave of Absence from WOU)
  • Read the Leave of Absence Information PDF carefully. Procedures for returning will vary depending on how long you have been outside of the U.S.  
  • Print or electronically save this document so that you will have a reference during the entire period of time you will be taking a Leave of Absence. You must be fully aware of your responsibilities over the course of the time you are gone as well as the times when you must be in communication with OIED.
  • Depart the U.S. within 14 days.


Leave of Absence Less Than 5 Months

Send an e-mail to OIED at at least 30 days before either (a) your visa renewal appointment if needed, or (b) 30 days before your return flight to the US. Include the following in your e-mail:
  • Your name and student number (e.g. V00….); Your travel situation; Date of your return flight to the US; and Which term you plan to return to WOU
  • Date of your visa interview (if you have one)
  • Date of most recent I-20 travel signature (on page 3)
    • If the I-20 travel signature on page 3 is older than six months, you must provide an address for OIED to mail you a new I-20.


Leave of Absence More Than 5 Months

  • You must apply for an new I-20 with OIED. A new bank statement is required.
  • Pay the $200 SEVIS I-901 fee online at .
  • Contact the US Embassy in your country. Determine whether your visa is still valid or if you need to get a new visa stamp. Usually the visa is considered canceled if you have been out of the US for longer than 5 months.
Return to the US no sooner than 30 days before the Program Start Date on your new I-20. Contact OIED about your plans to return before purchasing plane tickets.


I want to take a vacation term but not during summer term

To take a vacation term, other than the normal summer vacation term, a student must have been enrolled in full-time credits for all three terms before the desired vacation term.


If you are eligible, submit the Notice of Vacation Term Form.



International Education & Development ph:503-838-8425 fax:503-838-8338 | or e-mail:

MissionWestern Oregon University | 345 N. Monmouth Ave. | Monmouth OR 97361 | 503-838-8000 | Admissions 1-877-877-1593 | Text only Remote IP: ((none!))