Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

International Education & Development

Immigration Forms and Information for Current Students


Forms by Topic:

Registration | Maintaining Status | Updates or Changes to Immigration Records |

Travel | Transfer | Departure | Employment | Letter Requests | Other Information |


Click Here for a Complete Alphabetical List of All Forms


Registration Requirements


Immigration regulations state that all international students must register for a full course load.


Undergraduate F-1 and J-1 students must register for at least 12 credits per term to be at a full course load.

Graduate students must register for at least 9 credits per term or as otherwise approved by an international student advisor.


International students may count only 3 credits per term towards their full course load. Example: If a student registers for a 5 credit online course they must also register for at least 9 credits of regular on-campus classes. This way they will register for a total of 14 credits but only 3 credits of the online course will count for immigration purposes.


Immigration Registration Form: At the start of every term, except summer term, all WOU International students must complete the Immigration Registration online form by the end of week 1 of the term. Please use the online form below or you can complete a paper version in the OIED office in Maaske Hall.

Immigration Registration Form (Online form) Immigration Registration Form (PDF)

Reduced Course Load or RCL: A student may be eligible to register for less than a full course load if they meet one of the following eligibility requirements. Select the relevant PDF form link from the far right column to download and print the needed form.:The deadline for submitting an RCL form is the first Friday (5 p.m.) of a given term.


Last Term Only: Graduation Term
Student is in the final term of their degree program and does not need a full course load to complete. One term limit.


RCL Form

Requires Academic Advisor signature

1st Term Only: Academic or English Difficulties
Student is in the first term of their degree program and is having initial difficulties with English or American teaching methods. One term limit.


RCL Form

Requires Academic Advisor signature

Improper Course Placement
Student is having difficulties with a course because they were improperly placed in it and they need to drop the class in order to make constructive academic progress. One term limit.


RCL Form

Requires Academic Advisor signature

Medical Condition

Student is having difficulties because they are experiencing physical or psychological issues. One year limit.

Note: Form must be accompanied by a letter from the doctor, explaining in detail the students situation.

RCL Form

Requires a medical physician or licensed clinical psychologist signature


Concurrent Enrollment: A student may enroll at WOU and at another SEVIS approved college or university as long as the total number of credits being taken adds up to a full course load (12 for undergraduates, 9 for graduates). A student must enroll in at least 6 credits at WOU to be considered a WOU student and be valid under their WOU I-20.


Students must first obtain authorization from an international student advisor at OIED to be concurrently enrolled. After they have completed registration for classes at the other school, they must provide a printout of their course schedule. This print out must clearly show the students full name, term of attendance, classes being taken, and their number of credits. Once the term is finished, they must submit an official transcript showing the course(s) completed over the term. Use this online form to request concurrent enrollment.

Concurrent Enrollment Form (Online form) Concurrent Enrollment Form (PDF)

Add or Drop Classes: To add or drop WOU classes, use this form. If you are dropping below full time you must get approval from an international student advisor first.

Add/Drop Course Form (PDF)

Hybrid/Online Course Agreement: If a student would like to take an online course(s) but doing so would be a violation of their immigration status, they may work with the professor of the online course to develop a hybrid course. A hybrid course is one in which the student takes most of the course online but also agrees to meet with the professor a specified number of hours at specified times so that physical presence requirements are established. Complete the following form with your professor to establish a hybrid course and submit it for final approval to an international student advisor.

Hybrid Online Course Verification Form (PDF)

Maintaining Status


Maintaining immigration status is just as important as maintaining good academic status. Please read and understand the following tips on how to maintain student nonimmigrant status below.


10 Tips on How to Maintain Your Status:
  1. Enroll for a full course of study and attend classes every term, except a valid vacation term.
  2. Submit the Immigration Registration Form every term, except summer term.
  3. Register for only 3 credits of online courses per term unless you register above a full course of study.
  4. If needing a Reduced Course Load (RCL), apply BEFORE dropping any classes.
  5. Make academic progress and keep your grade point average at 2.00 or higher each term.
  6. Tell OIED before you leave WOU or the U.S. (such as, travel, study abroad, withdrawal, or transfer).
  7. Do not start any type of job until you have gained the proper authorization. Check with OIED first.
  8. Update OIED on any changes in your address (within 10 days of moving), major, or financial situation.
  9. Keep your immigration documents correct and up-to-date (I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94)
  10. Check your WOU e-mail OFTEN, at least three times a week, for important information.


Reinstatement of Immigration Status: When a student fails to maintain their immigration status, his/her SEVIS record will be terminated. If a student with a terminated record wants to continue studying at WOU, they must apply for reinstatement with USCIS using the I-539 form. Go to to find the most up-to-date version of the I-539 form. Also, students must meet with an international student advisor and understand the information in the following PDF.

Reinstatement for F-1 Students (PDF)

Change of Status: Individuals who do not have U.S. citizenship or permanent residency must obtain an F-1 or J-1 visa in order to maintain lawful nonimmigrant student status. Individuals with B-1/2 or F-2 visa status, for example, will violate their visa status if they attempt to enroll in a program of study in the U.S. before they obtain F-1 visa status. If you need to change visa status download the I-539 form at and read the information in the following PDF.

Change of Visa Status (PDF)

Other Information: The following resources are additional references for students on maintaining immigration status.

Information about Maintaining Status (PDF)

Maintaining Immigration Status and Related Topics (Power Point)

Information for current students from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Information about SEVIS in your native language: English Arabic Chinese Japanese Korean Spanish

Updates or Changes to Immigration Documents


International students are required to keep all immigration documents up-to-date and current. If a student has a change of name, address, major, program end date on I-20 or DS-2019, new educational level, financial information, number of dependants, or needs a new immigration document, then they must complete the appropriate form below.

Change Address, E-mail or Phone Form (Online form)

Change of Major Form (Online form)

Request for New I-20 or DS-2019 (Online form)

Extend Duration of Program of Study Form (Online form)

Bringing Dependants to the U.S. and Adding Dependents to SEVIS Record (PDF)

Travel Information and Forms


Before traveling outside the U.S., students should read and understand all of the information in the following PDF,

Travel Outside of the United States Information (PDF)

Travel Signature: Students must get an updated signature on page 3 of their I-20 or DS-2019 every six months if they will travel outside the U.S. If the signature will be more than six months old when reentering the U.S., a new signature will need to be added.


You must complete the form below or a paper version in the OIED office, at least 2 business days prior to your travel, in order to obtain a new travel authorization signature. Bring your current I-20 or DS-2019, and copies of updated documents to OIED after submitting the following online form.

Travel Authorization Signature on I-20 or DS-2019 Form (Online form)

Check the Following BEFORE Traveling Outside the U.S.:

  • The expiration date on your passport (and your dependents) must be valid at least six months after the date you plan to re-enter the U.S. Otherwise, make sure to renew it.

  • The expiration date on your U.S. visa must be valid up to the date you plan to re-enter. Otherwise, you must apply for a visa renewal while abroad. But, when you travel to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands for under 30 days, you may re-enter with an expired visa and it will be automatically revalidated.

  • The date of the travel authorization signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 must not be older than six months from the day when your re-enter the U.S.

  • Check if you need a visa to enter the country you plan to visit. Applying for visas can take months, so check early. The following website has useful links:

Review detailed information on immigration documents here.

Vacation Term: Students may take a vacation term every summer term and/or after they have completed three consecutive terms of full-time study. If a student takes full-time classes during summer term they may take a vacation during other terms.


When students plans to take a vacation term during a term other than the annual summer vacation (during fall, winter or spring term), they must fill out the following form, also available in the OIED office. Meet with an international student advisor if you began taking classes in winter, spring or summer and need a vacation term.

Vacation Term Notice Form (PDF)

During a vacation term, students may take classes and may be less than a full-time credit load. They may also travel inside or outside the US if they have an updated travel signature.


Transfer to Another School


Students who plan to transfer to another SEVIS approved school must read this Transfer Out Information link and submit the Transfer Out Form below. They must also bring their admission letter from the new school to the OIED office in order to have their SEVIS record moved to the new school.

Transfer Out Form (Online form)

Departure from WOU - Graduation, Withdrawal, or Leave of Absence


Go to the Departure Page.

Students must inform the OIED office if they will depart WOU either permanently or temporarily. The Departure Page has information about students' responsibilities when leaving WOU. Depending on the reason, leaving can have a major impact on students' academic and immigration status. Schedule a meeting with an international student advisor to ensure a smooth transition.


All departing students must submit the Departure Notice form (Online form)



Go to the Employment Page.

Employment regulations are very complex. The Employment Page has information about the process of finding a job, applying for on-campus work permission, getting a Social Security Number, and applying for off-campus work authorization, Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training, and Academic Training.


Do not work off campus without getting approval from the OIED and the US Government first. It can have a very bad effect on you current and future immigration status. See the Employment Page for more details.

Letter Requests


Students may request that an OIED advisor write various types of letters for them, such as: recommendation for a visa renewal, verification of academic status, verification of current address, verification of immigration status, or invitation for family members to come to the U.S.

Letter Request Form (Online form)

Invitation for Family Members Visa Request Form and Information (PDF)

Please allow 2 business days for letters to be prepared by an advisor.


Other Information

Emergency Contact and Information Release Form (PDF)

DMV and Drivers License Information (PDF)

List of Academic Advisors (PDF)

Local Schools in the Monmouth/Independence Area (PDF)

List of Immigration Lawyers (PDF)

Maps of Campus and Monmouth/Independence

Quick Links to Forms


For detailed information regarding these forms, look for the relevant section title above. When filling out any form do so completely and with as much detail as possible. All forms are also available in the OIED office in Maaske Hall. Please allow 2 business days for forms to be processed. An international student advisor will be in contact if there are any issues.


International Education & Development ph:503-838-8425 fax:503-838-8338 | or e-mail:

MissionWestern Oregon University | 345 N. Monmouth Ave. | Monmouth OR 97361 | 503-838-8000 | Admissions 1-877-877-1593 | Text only Remote IP: ((none!))