- Degree: Master of Science in Education
- Area of Interest: Special Educator I and II
- College: College of Education
- Department: Special Education
We are accepting application for the 2013-2015 cohort of the Special Educator Program. The deadline for applications remains OPEN, so please submit your application ASAP. Successful candidates begin the program fall term 2013.
New scholarship: Tamara Condit-Whitehouse Scholarship for Excellence in Special Education - $1,000 award each fall term
New scholarship: Hank Bersani Scholarship for Excellence in Special Education - tbd, award each fall term
Graduate Programs Application Requirements
WOU Graduate School Office – Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed WOU Application for Graduate Admission form . Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building office 202. Students must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- Sealed official transcripts from the university that granted your bachelor's degree and from all other institutions of higher education where you completed coursework. A GPA of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter hours (60 semester hours) of undergraduate coursework is required. Those with less than a 3.0 GPA can be admitted with MAT or GRE scores (see below for requirement).
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. If the applicant's GPA is 3.0 or higher, the test requirement is waived. If the GPA is less than 3.0, minimum required score for the (a) MAT: 395 or higher; (b) average score of 450 or higher on the Verbal and Quantitative and a 3.5 or higher on Analytical Writing.
- $50 non refundable application fee
Special Education Admission Requirements
- Completed, signed and dated Special Educator Program Application
- Three confidential letters of recommendation MUST be mailed directly by each reference to the WOU Special Educator Program (address on forms). You must NOT submit the completed reference forms with your application.
- Copies of official transcripts from all universities attended are to be submitted with the WOU Application for Graduate Admission. Photocopies will be made for your Special Education Program file and the College of Education.
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or Praxis I - Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) score: CBEST or PPST score is required of Special Educator II applicants ONLY -- TSPC requires all initial licensure applicants to pass this test before an Oregon license is issued. Applicants who hold a valid Oregon teaching license do NOT need to take the CBEST or PPST. Please photocopy and submit your CBEST of Praxis PPST score report with the Special Educator Program Application. After being admitted to the program, candidates need to bring their original CBEST/PPST score report to Education Building Room 220 and the office specialist will verify test results and make an official copy. Note: Students MUST take CBEST or PPST before beginning their first term of study.
- Link to CBEST and ORELA preparation information