- Degree: Master of Science in Education
- Area of Interest: Special Educator I and II
- College: College of Education
- Department: Special Education
We are accepting applications for the 2014-2016 cohort of the Special Educator Program. Please submit your application by the January 31, 2014 deadline. Successful candidates begin the program fall term 2014.
New scholarship: Tamara Condit-Whitehouse Scholarship for Excellence in Special Education - $1,000 award each fall term
New scholarship: Hank Bersani Scholarship for Excellence in Special Education - tbd, award each fall term
Graduate Programs Application Requirements
WOU Graduate School Office – Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed WOU Application for Graduate Admission form . Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building office 202. Students must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- Sealed official transcripts from the university that granted your bachelor's degree and from all other institutions of higher education where you completed coursework. A GPA of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter hours (60 semester hours) of undergraduate coursework is required. Those with less than a 3.0 GPA can be admitted with MAT or GRE scores (see below for requirement).
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. If the applicant's GPA is 3.0 or higher, the test requirement is waived. If the GPA is less than 3.0, minimum required score for the (a) MAT: 395 or higher; (b) GRE: minimum quantitative score: 147 and minimum verbal score: 148 and a 3.5 or higher on the Analytical Writing section.
- $60 non refundable application fee
Special Education Admission Requirements
- Completed, signed and dated Special Educator Program Application
- Three confidential letters of recommendation MUST be mailed directly by each reference to the WOU Special Educator Program (address on forms). You must NOT submit the completed reference forms with your application.
- Copies of official transcripts from all universities attended are to be submitted with the WOU Application for Graduate Admission. Photocopies will be made for your Special Education Program file and the College of Education.
- Candidates who are completing the M.S. in ED: SpEd degree ONLY do not need to pass one of the tests below.
- TSPC requires all initial licensure applicants (i.e., Special Educator II students) to pass one of the tests below before an Oregon license is issued. Applicants who hold a valid Oregon teaching license (i.e., Special Educator I students) do NOT need to take one of the tests below.
- If you have test scores, please photocopy and submit your NES: EAST, or Praxis PPST, or CBEST score report with the Special Educator Program Application. If you have not yet completed one of the noted tests when you submit your program application, you MUST complete that test before the end of your first term (usually fall) in the Special Educator Program. When candidates receive their test score report, they need to take the original NES: EAST/CBEST/PPST score report to the Education Building, Room 220 (the Special Education Division office) and the administrative assistant will verify your test results and make official photocopy.