Your best preparation for the Master of Science in Education: Special Education program:To be admitted, you should already have:
- Bachelor's degree
- Desire to teach special education
Steps in applying to Master of Science in Education: Special Education program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Apply to Master of Science in Education: Special Education program
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 30 days of receiving all application materials and a passing interview.
Deadlines and key dates:Graduate students may apply to the for fall 2015. We are still accepting applications for the 2015-2017 cohort.
Detailed application requirements:
- Apply for WOU Graduate Admission:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, Indiana, or Minnesota at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 202. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the Master of Science in Education: Special Education program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- $60 application fee
- Sealed official transcripts: From the college or university that granted your bachelor's degree and from all other institutions of higher education where you completed coursework. A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter hours (60 semester hours) of coursework is required. If you have less than a 3.0 GPA, you can be admitted with sufficient MAT or GRE scores (see next point). Students who have already obtained a master's degree from an accredited institution will have their GPA requirement waived.
- MAT or GRE score: If your GPA is 3.0 or higher, you do not have to submit test scores. If your GPA is less than 3.0, your minimum required score for the (a) MAT: 395 or higher; (b) GRE: minimum quantitative score: 147 and minimum verbal score: 148 and a 3.5 or higher on the Analytical Writing section.
- Apply for Master of Science in Education: Special Education program admission:
- Completed, signed and dated Special Educator Program Application
- Three confidential letters of recommendation MUST be mailed directly by each reference to the WOU Special Educator Program (address on forms). You must NOT submit the completed reference forms with your application. Download the Confidential Reference form.
- Copies of official transcripts from all universities attended are to be submitted with the WOU Application for Graduate Admission. Photocopies will be made for your Special Education Program file and the College of Education.
- Candidates who are completing the M.S. in ED: SpEd degree ONLY do not need to pass one of the tests below.
- TSPC requires all initial licensure applicants (i.e., Special Educator II students) to pass one of the tests below before an Oregon license is issued. Applicants who hold a valid Oregon teaching license (i.e., Special Educator I students) do NOT need to take one of the tests below.
- If you have test scores, please photocopy and submit your NES: EAST, or Praxis PPST, or CBEST score report with the Special Educator Program Application. If you have not yet completed one of the noted tests when you submit your program application, you MUST complete that test before the end of your first term (usually fall) in the Special Educator Program. When candidates receive their test score report, they need to take the original NES: EAST/CBEST/PPST score report to the Education Building, Room 202 (Teacher Education Division) and the administrative assistant will verify your test results and make official photocopy.
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)
All forms require Adobe Reader ™ to save and create your digital signature.