Program at a Glance
The program emphasizes five major components:
- individual and group counseling theory and technique;
- influence of career acquisition and personal independence on the daily lives of persons with disabilities;
- social and psychological impact of disability on an individual and family;
- federal, state, and private service delivery systems for persons with disabilities; and
- self-awareness on the part of counselors-in-training.
The program offers two tracks:
- Rehabilitation Counseling (RC) option. Graduates of this option provide counseling and consultative services to the general population of persons who have disabilities.
- Rehabilitation Counseling for the Deaf (RCD) option is one of three deafness specialty programs in the United States. Graduates plan to seek employment as counselors or consultants for culturally Deaf people, deafened individuals, and persons who are hard-of-hearing.
The Rehabilitation Counseling Program at Western Oregon University was established on the belief that individuals who are Deaf or have disabilities have a right to lead fulfilling, independent, and productive lives. Trained professionals are an important component to the realization of this right. To that end, the faculty is dedicated to preparing rehabilitation professionals who are skilled in advocating for and with persons who are Deaf or have disabilities and who are competent counselors knowledgeable about the development and dissemination of innovative and culturally sensitive rehabilitation practices and policies.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the rehabilitation counseling related theories and policies through scholarly activities.
- Demonstrate competency in facilitating employment, independent living, community integration and personal adjustment for individuals who are Deaf or have disabilities and come from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Show commitment to professional excellence and leadership through the practice of ethical behavior and integrity.
Connect with Our Students
Sharon Sielschott email@example.com
Chad DeSeranno firstname.lastname@example.org
All forms require Adobe Reader ™ to save and create your digital signature.