Conveying the broad scope of applied musical practice in the 21st century
American Vernacular & Jazz Studies Requirements:
- Performers: Pass a live audition that demonstrates 2-3 jazz and/or American vernacular styles and improvisation techniques. A VHS recording, CD, or DVD of performance skills may be submitted in lieu of the initial live audition; however, any applicant admitted on the basis of a recorded audition must perform a live placement audition upon arrival on campus to begin studies.
- Composers/Arrangers: Three (3) diverse, legible scores that best reflect the applicant's composition/arranging style. Recordings (CD, VHS Video, and/or DVD formats only) of three (3) representative works, at least two (2) of which should correspond with the scores submitted. If VHS videos are submitted, please include only one (1) work per tape. MIDI realizations are not acceptable.
- A repertoire list from the past five (5) years.
- A current resume or vita detailing your professional experience, honors, and awards.
- A personal statement that addresses 1] jazz/vernacular performing aesthetics and influences; 2] statement of purpose (why are you interested in pursuing graduate studies at Western Oregon University); and 3] long range professional goals. This personal statement is in addition to the required writing sample for the Music Department application.
(back to Admission)