Your best preparation for the ESOL program:To be admitted, you should already have:
- Valid Oregon teaching license or be working towards licensure in MAT program
- Classroom experience in your preferred area and/or age group
- Desire to thrive as a professional educator
Steps in applying to ESOL program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Meet with an ESOL advisor to complete a program plan
Deadlines and key dates:Graduate students may apply to the program any term.
- Apply directly to Graduate Programs within 30 days of the beginning of the term you plan to start.
Detailed application requirements:
- Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, Indiana, or Minnesota at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 202. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the ESOL endorsement program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- $60 application fee
- Sealed official transcripts: From the college or university that granted your bachelor's degree and from all other institutions of higher education where you completed coursework. A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter hours (60 semester hours) of coursework is required. If you have less than a 3.0 GPA, you can be admitted with sufficient MAT or GRE scores (see next point). Students who have already obtained a master's degree from an accredited institution will have their GPA requirement waived.
- MAT or GRE score: If your GPA is 3.0 or higher, you do not have to submit test scores. If your GPA is less than 3.0, your minimum required score for the (a) MAT: 395 or higher; (b) GRE: minimum quantitative score: 147 and minimum verbal score: 148 and a 3.5 or higher on the Analytical Writing section.
- Apply for ESOL Endorsement program admission:
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)