The Division of Extended Programs is an integral partner in the University's work for continuous improvement in alignment with the accreditation standards by Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The following documents are assembled as Standard 2 work is being done.
Accreditation standards are principle-based statements of expectations of quality and effectiveness for institutions accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). They function as: 1) indicators of educational quality and effectiveness by which institutions are evaluated; and 2) a framework for continuous improvement. Collectively they blend analysis and synthesis to enable holistic institutional self reflection and peer evaluation by examining the institution's mission, its interpretation and translation of that mission into practice; appraisal of its potential to fulfill its mission; and evaluation of the results of its efforts to achieve that mission.
The five Standards for Accreditation are statements that articulate the quality and effectiveness expected of an accredited institution, and collectively they provide a framework for continuous improvement within institutions. The five standards also serve as indicators by which institutions are evaluated by peers. The standards are designed to guide institutions in a process of self reflection that blends analysis and synthesis in a holistic examination of:
1. The institution's Mission and Core Themes;
2. The translation of the Mission's Core Themes into assessable objectives supported by programs and services;
3. The appraisal of the institution's potential to fulfill the Mission;
4. The planning and implementation involved in achieving and assessing the desired outcomes of programs and services; and,
5. Evaluations of the results of the institution's efforts to fulfill the Mission and assess its ability to monitor its environment, adapt, and sustain itself as a viable institution.
Complete information about WOU accreditation on the Office of the Provost website: http://www.wou.edu/provost/
Division of Extended Programs (DEP) 503.838.8483 V/TTY or 1.800.451.5767| or e-mail: email@example.com | or fax: 503-838-8473