Staff Senate complements Faculty Senate and Student Senate as a component of Western Oregon University's system of shared governance. It is comprised of elected members from both classified and unclassified staff at the university. Senate business meetings are open to university staff, guests are encouraged to attend.
Staff Senate seeks to influence positive and progressive change in the Western Oregon University community by:
- Promoting positive dialogue among staff, faculty, administrators, and students.
- Advising and making recommendations to the university president on matters outside the
scope of collective bargaining.
- Making resolutions on behalf of constituencies and outside the scope of
- Considering ideas or projects of importance to the university.
Statement of Ethical Values
As an academic community, we
value for each of our members the right to pursue learning, to seek truth,
and to speak freely. We value honesty and candor in all situations and
confidentiality in matters of private concern. We value a community that
upholds human dignity, honors diversity, and promotes excellence and
individual growth. We encourage respect for the rights of our fellow
humans, for all life, and for the world we are given.
In light of these
values, we pledge to conduct ourselves with integrity, to show compassion
and understanding toward all, to ensure responsible exercise of authority,
and to seek peaceful resolution of our differences.
We acknowledge our
debt to all who have worked to establish the rights and responsibilities
of academic life and we pledge to preserve this heritage for those yet
- Adopted by unanimous vote in 2008