Faculty Senate Minutes

November 9, 2004

 

I.                 Meeting called to order at 3:30 PM

II.               Roll:  Will be included in an addendum to these minutes.

III.           Minutes from October 26, 2004 meeting were approved by voice vote

IV.           Reports of the presidents

A.              Faculty Senate President (Keller Coker)

1.                Results of strategic planning survey given to faculty at previous meeting (handout).

B.              WOU President (Philip Conn)

1.                Enrollment (handout)

a.                Preliminary report; complete report to be released Nov. 15.

b.                Focus:  Comparison to previous years, system-wide.

c.                Some highlights (please see actual document for details)

·                 In June, we projected being down 100 students, but are actually down by 260 headcount (184 FTE)

·                 Projections were based on application rates, and miscalculation is possibly due to a cascading effect:  larger universities made more exceptions and thus enrolled students that might otherwise have gone here (NOTE:  I’m doing some serious paraphrasing here-KLH).

·                 Most schools are reporting that headcounts give better figures (i.e. fewer dropped students) than FTE; we are an exception.

·                 A significant proportion of our drop is accounted for categories other than freshman and continuing students.  Specifically, we are down in post-bacs, graduate students and “special students” in a variety of categories (see handout)

·                 SOU, similar in constituency and offerings to WOU, experienced a similar (and even slightly worse) enrollment drop as WOU.

d.                Issues to address

·                 Recruitment/retention issues

·                 Graduate programs

·                 Short courses and workshops (especially for graduate programs)

·                 Flexible course times and days

e.                Question:  What is happening in the search for the new admissions director? (Keller)

·                 Conn:  Trouble finding new applicants; two finalists were rejected

·                 Gary Dukes is acting as the admissions director in addition to his other duties.  Right now this is the “most important job” he is doing right now and consumes a considerable proportion of his time.

·                 The search is still open.

f.                  Question:  What is happening with the registrar search? (Mark Van Steeter)

·                 Conn:  Nancy France named as interim registrar.  Pleased with job she is doing.

·                 That search is also open; new applications are being accepted, and Nancy France will also be considered for the permanent position if she chooses to apply.  She chose this summer not to be immediately considered and is not officially an applicant at this point.

·                 If Nancy does choose to apply and is accepted, we will need someone new for her position in Central Advising.

C.              ASWOU President (Ben Sappington)

1.                Student registration in Oregon was 33,617; Monmouth registration: 2422 under age 30; 64% turnout for voters under age 30; 66% for all of Polk County (under age 30).  ASWOU is pleased with these results and plans to keep up this kind of effort.

a.                John Rector congratulated the students for these student registration numbers.

2.                After voter registration, provided candidate guides for legislative candidates.

3.                NWSLC leadership conference in Portland will be attended by approximately 15 students.

4.                Have a full student senate this year (24 students).  Encouraged to see students involved as senators or working as interns.

5.                They will be hosting an open house for meeting local legislators (date and time?)

V.              Consideration of Old Business

A.              BFA

1.                Questions solicited.  None received.

2.                Motion for approval made, seconded, and approved by voice vote.

B.              Discrimination & Sexual Harassment policies

1.                Chehalis Strapp:  concerned by vague wording in sexual harassment policy.  Example, “leaning over students” might occur in the course of a normal class.  What exactly does this mean?  Also, “sexual innuendos” and “sex talk” are of concern because course content may include these topics.  Psychology wanted to add the words “may be” before “prohibited” in the part of the document where these examples are provided.

2.                Mary Bucy:  documents should consistently include “administration” throughout.  Currently written in some places but not others within the document.

3.                Chehalis Strapp:  What are the reporting guidelines/chain of command?  Would like more specifics.

4.                Mark Van Steeter:  The document was reasonable from the perspective of the union because it didn’t list specific penalties.

5.                Janeanne Rockwell-Kincanon:   Is there a way to include something about the discussion of sex as an academic pursuit?  How to word this?

6.                Brian Caster: Maybe get rid of examples because this gets into the issue of creating a complete list with exceptions.

7.                President Coker:  Where should we go from here?

8.                President Conn: Would appreciate wordsmithing

a.                Chehalis Strapp will work on the sexual harassment policy and have something by the next meeting.

9.                Consensual relationship policy:  Mary Bucy recommended that we need to add “administration” throughout this document (as well as the sexual harassment document) and agreed to do this.

10.            We will examine both these policies, as revised, at the next meeting.

C.              Three-credit hour scheduling guidelines

1.                President Coker:  Comments he received were that this was welcomed

2.                Mark Van Steeter:  Similar response, welcomed but need to emphasize that these are guidelines.  Some concern that those not following these would be discriminated against.  This is a gray area.

3.                Kristina Frankenberger:  What about that extra five minutes?

a.                Clarification:  Approval of this document leaves things as they are.

4.                Motion to endorse this document made, seconded.

a.                Discussion:  Sriram Khe:  We need to make sure this gets distributed.

·                 Keller will send out to the “allfacstaff” mailing list.

·                 Senators need to also inform their divisions, especially those who work on the scheduling.

b.                Motion passes by voice vote.

D.              IFS Senator

1.                Vote to re-elect Solveig Holmquist is unanimous!  Congratulations, Solveig!

E.               Writing intensive “W”

1.                Sriram: handout with detailed proposal

2.                Burden is on faculty who decide not to designate a normally “D” or “W” course.

a.                Clarification of the problem:  The “W”s have been inadvertently dropped and thus students don’t get it counted correctly.

b.                Who to inform?  Wording is added to “inform the division chair” in place of “request” within proposal.

3.                Motion to approve this document (as amended) is made, seconded and passed by voice vote.

VI.           Guest speaker: Cheryl Gaston, Director of Public Relations

A.              Cheryl opened her presentation saying, “I have never felt so at home.”  She proceeded to provide a detailed report of what we can expect from Public Relations in the following areas.

1.                PR function:  media coverage, media training, training about “What is news?”, experts for media queries (let Eric Peterson know your areas of expertise).

a.                Expert lists are both local and national (example: profnet).  Now getting 3-4 media queries per day.  Includes local tie-ins to national issues.

2.                Issues and Crisis Management:  Make sure our response is appropriate to the situation.

3.                Sports information:  Working to streamline process to get information out to the appropriate places.

4.                Web design

a.                Stuart Gilbert (spelling) is a photographer and web technician.  First job: visited every page we own looking at missing/bad links.

b.                Have a 3-tiered system to repair/update the website

c.                Jan. 1, 2005 mandate for a “clean” system.

5.                Publications

a.                Consistent, appropriate look.

b.                Our publications: they will do it for us, help us, or give us the tools we need to do it ourselves.

6.                Marketing planning:  Looking for best value as well as doing what works for WOU.

7.                Work towards university goals.

a.                Big project: enrollment marketing:  top priority that encompasses all programs.

8.                NOTE:  The question you will be asked when you come in with any request is, “What do you want to have happen?”

B.               Cheryl discussed systems that PR is putting into place

1.                Production tracking systems that document everything about a project (contacts, deadlines, etc…)

2.                Have revamped the campus web calendar

3.                WOU bulletin:  this is a work in progress meant to serve the WOU community. 

a.                PR will be surveying the campus community to see how well this is working

b.                Goal of the bulletin is to inform the campus community about events, news releases and highlights.

·                 Short blurbs that are readable in a short time, plus links are provided for those wanting to examine a particular item in greater detail.

4.                Developing “experts” lists and speakers’ bureau (get many requests)

5.                Web upgrading

a.                Goals are utility and usability

b.                Will engage entire campus in this process.

C.              Questions

1.                Scott Grim:  Departmental web pages are now with Scott Carter.  Will that change.

a.                Cheryl Gaston:  No.  All academic departments will stay with Scott Carter.

2.                Sriram Khe:  Some of our events are planned in the short-term. Would like help in advertising in the short-term.

a.                Cheryl Gaston:  Attempting to devise a rapid response method.  Also will work with departments to get word of such events to the PR events in an efficient way.

3.                Hilda Rosselli: Some places have sites where agenda and minutes are posted.

a.                We have this site, linked to academics.  Have been posting minutes, but could also post the agenda there.

4.                Karen Haberman:  Enjoyed the NPR spot for Sister Helen Prejean.

a.                Cheryl Gaston:  Credit goes to Leta Edwards for that.

5.                President Coker:  There will be a concert of early 17th century Italian music in Smith Hall, tomorrow at 7:30 PM

VII.        Consideration of New Business

A.              BA vs. BS:  Gudrun Hoobler (handout)

1.                Everyone can get a BA in their field.

2.                Would like to see standardized advising, let students know about this option as well as about language placement tests.

3.                Laurie Burton helped with math component

a.                Maria:  Still need to emphasize that Math 105 and CS 101 may not be used to meet the 12 credits of the BS.

4.                Goal:  Would like the Faculty Senate to adopt the policies outlined in the handout.

5.                Discussion

a.                Chehalis Strapp:  Can we have language exam as part of intake (like the math placement)?

·                 Nancy France:  This is doable.

·                 President Conn:  Could be accommodated in the overnight SOAR option.

·                 Charles Anderson:  Too many tests during these orientations?  A writing proficiency exam tied to SAT scores is also being introduced.

è             Could make the language exam optional

·                 Julia Smith:  What about ASL?

·                 John Rector:  There are languages not on our campus for which student could receive credit.  For example, missionaries who have lived in 3rd world countries and are proficient at those languages can qualify via exam.  Should add this to the document.

b.                Sriram Khe:  Whole idea of BA and BS is arbitrary.  Was hoping we would look at this philosophically.  Should we graduate students without any exposure to languages?

c.                Scott Grim: Theatre department was required to drop BA in theatre to get a BFA in theatre

·                 President Conn:  There is room for discussion on this.

d.                Mary Bucy:  Need a shorter version of Dr. Hoobler’s document with larger font.

·                 Maria Fung:  Math has a flier describing math options outside of the math department.

e.                Maria Fung:  Need to add the Ed Math Series to list of options (for?—KLH)

6.                BA/BS combined (Gudrun Hoobler)

a.                Think about this

b.                Perhaps if students do this we could waive the minor?

VIII.     Report of Inter-institutional Faculty Senate (IFS) by Bob Turner

A.              Meeting of legislative advisory council

B.               Government affairs representative from each compass. 

1.                Time spent speculating about approaches to take when addressing legislators.

a.                OUS should present a united front.

b.                Faculty salaries are important.

c.                Need to address legislative requests for performance indicators.  Susan Weeks made a presentation.

·                 One proposed indicator is “educational quality”. The legislators want some type of index.

è             Survey of graduates of the institutions is one possibility.

è             SIR surveys could be used, but some would argue that these are not true measures of teaching effectiveness.

è             What are appropriate ways to measure teaching effectiveness?

d.                Common core:  three legislatures currently drafting legislation of their vision of a common core.

·                 Bob Turner has the URL for the State of Ohio common core. 

è             They have  a list of common courses plus additional requirements for particular institutions.  Might be something we could “live with”.

2.                November 19 “summit” with representatives of OUS, legislature, IFS, CIA, etc… meeting about the General Education Transfer Module (GETM).

3.                “Don’t expect any more money.”

4.                Peter Courtney elected as President of the State Senate.

a.                Sriram Khe:  Asked if it would be appropriate for us to invite him to a senate meeting.

·                 President Coker:  yes.

IX.           Meeting adjourned at approximately 5:03 PM.