Minutes: 10 November 2009

| No Comments

I CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
The meeting was called to order at 3:32 pm.
In attendance:
Scott Beaver, Dean Braa, Tracy Smiles (for Sue Dauer), Cheryl Davis, David Doellinger, Bryan Dutton, Camila Gabaldon, Mark Girod, Scott Grim, Bob Hautala, Sandy Hedgepeth, Solveig Holmquist, Elaina Jaimeson, Klay Kruczek, Carl Schroeder, Gay Timken, Dana Uveland, Jason Waite, Zenon Zygmont, Katherine Schmidt
Ex-Officio:
John Minahan, Kent Neely, Evan Sorce

II CORRECTIONS AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES: 27 OCTOBER 2009 (document A)

Minutes were approved, with typos and name misspellings corrected.

III PRESIDENTS' REPORTS

Katherine Schmidt, Faculty Senate
We would like an additional representative for the Latino committee. Currently Maria Dantas-Whitney and Jason Waite are our representatives. Any one interested, please let President Schmidt know.
We also need alternate for the finance committee with Mark Weiss. This committee is informed of WOU's finances, disseminates information about the finances, and is advisory to President Minahan. Currently Bryan Dutton and President Schmidt are representatives, but because of potential scheduling issues a volunteer to serve as an alternate is needed. Cheryl Davis volunteered.
President Schmidt passed on a reminder about the H1N1 policy from Provost Neely. Faculty need to be flexible. Don't expect doctor's notes for student absences this term.
The Executive Committee met with the Graduate and Curriculum Committees last week.

The graduate committee will be updating thesis guidelines, creating an online handbook, creating guidelines for the exit process and working with the library on an online repository for theses this year.
The Curriculum Committee is continuing to work out bugs in the online proposal system. They have a goal of April for adding an "edit" feature to the online system. They are also hoping to revisit the diversity guidelines.
Both committees are working with DEP on 800 level classes.

The next committee that will meet with the Executive Committee is the Academic Requirements Committee.


John Minahan, Western Oregon University
President Minahan recently sent out an email with budget information in addition to the presentation to the Senate done by Mark Weiss and wanted to know if there were questions about either of those.
At the senate's request, he provided a follow up on OUS fund balance "fishing."
The Legislative Fiscal office has asked for a report. We have opposed it, but had to fill out the paperwork. Some legislatures define fund balances as fat and are looking to use these. A lot of lobbying has been done, though, and it does not look like there are enough votes to take the balances.

President Minahan reports that he is happy to be back from China, though it was a productive trip. We have two new agreements with universities in China. One will bring upwards of 50 students into MIS program. Another will bring two plus two majors into a variety of disciplines. In addition, one of the universities would like us to jointly operate an English language center in China for the students before they come over, which we would likely do during the summer (due to the location of this university). This will present opportunities for our students and faculty in China
In the next 18 months, he would like to add approximately 100 international students, primarily at the Masters level.

President Minahan asked Dave MacDonald to give a summary of a press release that was released by OUS on Wednesday. The release is on enrollment across OUS system. The bottom line is that enrollments are up 5.8%, with all campuses showing increases, though SOU was the least. WOU was at 5.7% (right in the middle). Fewer Oregon residents came to OUS campuses at the OUS level (he attributes this to rise in community college enrollments), so the growth was fueled by non-resident and transfer students. There is also increased retention and diversity. WOU's diversity went up at a higher rate, and he expects we will continue to be the most diverse campus in OUS. Graduate students increased 4% system-wide, at WOU the increase was 17%.
He also distributed flyer for the new health and wellness center that was just produced.


Joe Hutchinson, Staff Senate
Not present

Evan Sorce, ASWOU
Apologized for missing meetings. He informed the senate that he has started IFC process and their first meeting will be 11/19 at 7pm in the Oregon Room (WUC). They will also have a training on 11/22 at 5pm. He has also scheduled a meeting on December 3, but that date may be changed.
He has been surveying students about issues that impact them:

Will work with President Minahan on legislation for Federal Dream Act and SAFRA
Additionally, catering seems to be an issue of importance to students. He will work on a plan to have different pricing for students.

Kent Neely, Provosts' Council
There has not been a provost's council meeting since his last report. They are scheduled to meet later in the week in Portland. He expects to discuss two senate bills: 342, which deals with aligning the international baccalaureate credits across the system, and 442, which is focused on access for rural students and the conversion to a semester system. On Friday they will meet with their community college counter parts to discuss those bill and House Bill 3090 which focuses on instituting applied baccalaureate degrees at all higher education institutions in the state.


IV OLD BUSINESS
Proposal: Credit by Exam Policy, Klay Kruczek of ARC (document B)
The proposal is to change the credit by exam policy for a little more flexibility for departments to make decisions about courses that students may receive credit by exam.
Dean Braa moved for approval, Scott Beaver seconded.
Passed unanimously.

A second part of this proposal is to insert instructions on the website and in the catalog.
Dean Braa moved for approval, Bryan Dutton seconded.
Passed unanimously.

Proposal: Academic Excellence Showcase Support, Bryan Dutton (document C)
The motion was for the Senate to support the 2010 showcase.
Dean Braa moved for approval, Klay Kruczek seconded.
Passed unanimously.

This motion was for the Executive committee to write a letter in support of the showcase to all faculty, asking that they set aside this class time.
Klay Kruczek moved for approval, Elaina Jamieson seconded.
Passed unanimously.

V NEW BUSINESS
Curriculum Proposal: Humanities, Henry Hughes (document D & E)
Jason Waite presented for Henry Hughes.
The Humanities major is unique in that it has the potential for 18 LACCs to count toward major (double-dipping), leaving a smaller number of hours that are devoted exclusively to the major. This has resulted in a watering-down of the major, as has been evidenced by the quality of recent senior projects.
This proposal would raise major from 64 hours to 75 and limit the number of LACCs to 7.
Questions included inquiries about how long it takes to finish the major on average (did not know), why credits were being added not just limiting the double-dipping (that was the original proposal, but Curriculum Committee sent it back because this would be in opposition to a current campus policy) and a comment that 75 credits is not an unusually large major.

Curriculum Proposal: Art, Jodie Raborn (documents F, G, & H)
This is a proposal to add drawing as a concentration area in Art. They need to move the numbers around (currently there are no 200 level drawing classes) and hope that by adding more drawing courses, they can improve performance in other areas where more drawing would be preferred (e.g, graphic design).

Proposal: Online Teaching Evaluation Pilot, Wanda Clifton-Faber (document I & J)
This proposal is that we go to an online, 13 question course evaluation form based on U of O evaluation as a pilot project in winter term. Those 13 questions would be revised by faculty. She would like to not administer the paper SIR this winter as it costs over $8000. Senators will receive credentials so that they can show this system to their divisions.
Many questions centered on how to get student participation in an online form, when it is often challenging to get them to fill out a paper form that is handed out. Ideas for incentives (e.g, extra-credit) or more punitive (e.g, hold grades) means were briefly explored.
This system would cost about $2500 and could be used as many times as we want, as opposed to SIR, which coasts $8000 per administration. Eventually, the system could be (almost) cost-free, as we could host it locally. Results would be available quickly and in a usable format (so faculty could make graphs, charts, etc.).


VI COMMITTEE REPORTS
none

VII INTERINSTITUTIONAL FACULTY SENATE REPORT
none

VIII SUSTAINABILITY THEME
New Residence Hall, Part II: Living and Learning, Tina Fuchs (document K)
Postponed

IX ADJOURNMENT
4:13pm

Leave a comment

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Camila published on November 19, 2009 9:13 AM.

Agenda for 11/10/09 meeting was the previous entry in this blog.

Minutes 24 November 2009 is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.