Division: Human Resources
Classification: GOVERNANCE & LEGAL
Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8490
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Purpose and General Explanation|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||UNIVERSITY CONTACT|
|Vice President and General Counsel||The Office of Human Resources|
|The WOU Community|
|FULL STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY|
(1) This procedure is established for the purpose of assuring all unclassified professional employees at Western Oregon University of the right to have their grievances receive fair, orderly and expeditious consideration. The emphasis is on solving problems in a collegial manner. The procedure encourages settlement of disputes at the lowest possible level by direct communications between conflicting parties.
(2) Any unclassified professional employee of Western Oregon University has the right to file a grievance if the employee believes that an unjust or inequitable act or omission has occurred, in violation of established institution written policies/procedure, state statute or rule. Disciplinary sanctions are imposed in accordance with OAR 580-021-0320 and shall not be subject to this grievance procedure.
(3) This right is in addition to that of an employee to appeal to the Employee Relations Board in accordance with the rules of that agency.
(4) At any step of the grievance procedure, an employee may be represented or assisted by anyone of his/her choosing. The expense for such representation shall be borne by the employee.
(5) Time limitations are provided for each step to assure quick response to the grievance. These limitations may be extended by mutual consent of the parties when placed in writing and attached to the written grievance.
(6) Once an employee has invoked the grievance procedure, he/she shall not be required to participate in any discussion of that grievance with a Supervisor or agent of the employer without the presence of his/her representative.
(7) If the Grievant is entitled to a contested case procedure, the Grievant may elect to use that procedure.
|REFERENCED OR RELATED POLICIES|
|RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS|
LAST UPDATED: 09/22/2016
HISTORICAL DETAIL NOTES:
Stat. Auth.: ORS 351
Stats. Implemented: ORS 351
Hist.: OCE 1-1980, f. & ef. 4-15-80; WOSC 3-1988, f. & cert. ef. 12-15-88; WOU 2-1997, f. & cert. ef. 5-28-97
SOURCE: Previously Referred to as: WOU OAR 574-010-0065
|FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)|
|unclassified employees, grievances|