Division: Facilities & Planning
Classification: FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8239
Contact Email Address: email@example.com
|Building/IOTB Repair and Equipment Replacement Reserves for Auxiliary Enterprises and Other Self-Liquidating Activities|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||UNIVERSITY CONTACT|
|Vice President for Finance and Administration||Physical Plant|
|The campus community|
|FULL STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY|
(1) Auxiliary enterprises and other self-liquidating activities shall maintain building/IOTB repair and equipment replacement reserves for the purpose of funding the cost of repairs or replacement of depreciable assets. Such serves should be sufficient to promote the efficient and effective operation of the related operating unit, avoid significant fluctuations in fees charged for services, and minimize the potential for unanticipated financial shortfalls that may impact the other funds of the institution.
(2) Each auxiliary enterprise and other self-liquidating activity shall determine the appropriate level of repair reserves for building and improvements other than buildings (IOTBs) and equipment replacement reserves based on a capital asset management plan (Plan) that is prepared/updated at least annually and approved by the institutions vice president for finance and administration or designee. The plan required under this provision will be based on a minimum five-year planning horizon and will assess the repair or replacement needs of each asset or asses class and include an analysis of the annual funding necessary to accumulate the funds required to execute the plan. When preparing/updating the Plan, consideration should be given to the availability of interest earnings on reserves of auxiliary enterprises in order to maximize the benefits of setting aside reserve funds. The Plan required under this section must be retained for audit purposes.
(3) Each auxiliary enterprise and self-liquidating activity with capital assets of $150,0o0 (record cost) or more will prepare and retain the capital asset management plan (Plan) referred to in section (2) above. Should the Plan indicate the need for building/IOBT repair and/or equipment replacement reserves, a fund should be established for those purposes (if not already established) and funded accordingly. Institution-specific policies will determine whether activities with less than $150,000 (recorded cost) of capital assets will prepare a Plan and establish and fund any reserves.
(4) Generally, building/IOTB repair and equipment replacement serves may not be used for any other purpose than to repair or replace capital assets used in the operation of the related auxiliary enterprise or other self-liquidating activity. Consideration should be given to statutory requirements (see section (6) below), applicable federal cost requirements, and the source of funding before authorizing the use of building/IOTB repair and equipment replacement serves for any other purpose. Authorization for such other use may only be granted by the institution’s vice president for finance and administration or designee and must be documented and retained for audit purposes.
(5) Pursuant to ORS 351.615, only building repair and equipment replacement reserves of auxiliary enterprises may be credited to the Higher Education Auxiliary Enterprise Building Repair and Equipment Replacement Fund (Fund). Reserves for the repair or replacement of other depreciable assets (IOTBs) of auxiliary enterprises may not be used for any other purpose than for the repair and alternation of auxiliary enterprise buildings and the replacement of auxiliary equipment. No repair/replacement reserves of service departments or any other self-liquidating activities may be credited to the Fund.
(6) Except as otherwise provided, exceptions to the requirements of sections (1) through (5) may be granted by the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration or designee.
|REFERENCED OR RELATED POLICIES|
|RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS|
LAST UPDATED: 08/11/2016
HISTORICAL DETAIL NOTES:
SOURCE: Previously Referred to as: OUS IMD 6.350
|FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)|
|self-liquidating activities, repair, cost of repairs, equipment replacement|