Division: Research, Sponsored Research, and Grants
Classification: ACADEMIC & STUDENT AFFAIRS
Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8391
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||UNIVERSITY CONTACT|
|The Research Institute Director||The Research Institute|
|Faculty, Staff and Students of The Research Institute|
|FULL STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY|
(1) Inventions or technological improvements to which these policies apply include any new or useful process, machine, device, manufacture, or composition of matter, and any new and useful improvements.
(2) Educational and professional materials to which these policies and procedures apply are those used or distributed primarily for the formal or informal instruction of education of professional or general students. Such materials may result from the instructional, research, or public service activities of employees.
(3) Materials to which these policies and procedures apply are exemplified by:
(a) Writings, lectures, study guides, books, textbooks, journal articles, glossaries, laboratory manuals, proposals, musical or dramatic compositions, listings, tables, charts, graphs, figures, manuals, codes, software, unpublished scripts, and programmed instructional materials.
(b) Video and audio recordings, live video and audio broadcasts, cassettes, tapes, films, filmstrips, slides, transparencies, and other reproductions and visual aids.
(c) Computer programs and computer-assisted courseware.
(4) Inventor(s) means the individual(s) who first conceived the idea, invention, or technological improvement.
(5) Author(s) means the individual(s) responsible for the primary subject-matter guidance and development of educational and professional materials.
(6) Material is said to be in the public domain if it is not protected by common law or statutory copyright and, therefore, is available for copying without infringement.
(7) Publication occurs when by consent of the copyright owner, the original or tangible copies or phonorecords of a work are sold, leased, loaned, given away, or otherwise made available to the general public, or when an authorized offer is made to dispose of the work in any such manner, even if a sale or other disposition does not in fact occur.
(8) The term “owner” refers to the party who owns or control the copyright and who has the right to sell, assign, distribute, or license the use of such material.
(9) Board- and institution-assisted effort is individual effort that involves institution and Board support in the form of significant personnel time, facilities, or other resources.
(10) Sponsored effort is institution-assigned effort, and assignment, among others, to conduct research and to develop materials, with substantial or all of the personnel time, facilities, or other resources for the assignment being provided by the institution and Board, or an outside sponsor such as a federal agency or private corporation.
|REFERENCED OR RELATED POLICIES|
|RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS|
LAST UPDATED: 08/11/2016
HISTORICAL DETAIL NOTES:
This policy previously was an International Management Directives from the State Board of Higher Education.
SOURCE: Previously Referred to as: OUS IMD 6.210
|FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)|
|Inventor, Author, Publication|