Home » View Policy
Division: Public Safety
Office: FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
Contact Phone Number: 503-838-8481
Contact Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Use of Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICER||UNIVERSITY CONTACT|
|Vice President for Finance and Administration||Campus Public Safety|
The purpose of this policy is to establish standards for the safe operation and use of Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles at Western Oregon University. Departments at Western Oregon University provide Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles to employees and student/volunteers so they may fulfill their job related or other authorized duties. Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles are used to transport equipment and people, patrol the campus grounds, and for campus maintenance activities. This policy establishes consistent standards regarding:
• Vehicle Operating Standards,
• Department & Driver Responsibilities,
• Operator Requirements & Standards
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle Condition and Standard Safety Features, and
• Accident Reporting Procedures.
Compliance with these standards will ensure the safe operation of these vehicles for the campus community; including Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle drivers, vehicle operators, cyclists, and pedestrians.
|WOU employees, student employees, and volunteers who use Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles.|
Department of Administrative Services / Oregon Administrative Rules DAS OAR 125-155-0000 through 125-155-0900:
|FULL STATEMENT OF AUTHORITY|
It is the policy of Western Oregon University that Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles owned by departments at Western Oregon University may only be used for official department/university business by university employees, student employees, and university approved volunteers who are associated with a university department. Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles may not be used for personal business such as unauthorized home-to-office travel, which will be considered vehicle misuse. Knowledge of and compliance with applicable state laws, rules, regulations and policies are the responsibility of the driver and noncompliance may result in suspension of user privileges.
Vehicle Operating Standards
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operation is governed under Oregon Revised Statutes and operators are subject to the rules of the road, including stopping, turning and safe operation. Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operators observed in violation of these rules can be cited by law enforcement officials i.e. Police, Deputy Sheriff.
• Drivers must have a valid Oregon or approved out of state drivers’ license with a satisfactory driving record, an updated drivers’ authorization on file with Campus Public Safety and their administrative unit, and no major traffic offenses.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles are to be operated at speeds no greater than 15 MPH or as safety concerns demand. Operators should always consider the terrain, weather conditions, and existing pedestrian and vehicular traffic, which may affect the ability to operate the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle safely.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operators will stop at all “blind intersections” and then proceed with caution.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles will be operated only within the confines of University property, or to and from University property outside the main campus boundaries when authorized by a employee’s supervisor. (i.e.: Gentle House/University House/parts store.)
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles are allowed to be driven on landscaped areas to gain access to the specific area where work is being performed. If the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle must be driven on a landscaped area in order to allow a pedestrian(s) the proper right-of-way, it should be brought to a full stop, then immediately returned to the designated driving surface as soon as the area is clear. This also applies to use on sidewalks.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles will be operated in such a manner that they do not impede or interfere with normal pedestrian or vehicular traffic flow on sidewalks, ramps or roadways.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles will be operated on service access drives and roadways whenever possible, rather than on sidewalks designed primarily for pedestrian use.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles shall be operated with the utmost courtesy, care, and consideration for the safety of pedestrians.
• Pedestrians will be given the right-of-way at all times.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles will not be parked:
• in Fire Lanes
• in metered parking spaces
• in DMV disabled parking spaces
• in reserved parking spaces
• within 20 feet of the main entrance/exit of any building in any manner that would impede the normal flow of pedestrian traffic
Department Administrative Procedures
• Supervisors will assure that each employee in their department, who operates a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle, is properly advised of this policy.
• Supervisors are responsible for obtaining a signed copy of the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle Safety Guidelines Acknowledgement form from each employee in their department who operates a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle, attesting to the employee’s knowledge and understanding of, and agreement to abide by, the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle policy. This signed Acknowledgement form must be completed and placed in the employee’s supervisory file, prior to the employee driving a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle. A copy needs to be forward to the Public Safety / Risk Management office.
• Drivers must have a valid Oregon or approved out of state drivers’ license with a satisfactory driving record, an updated drivers’ authorization on file with Campus Public Safety, in compliance with the OUS Vehicle Use Policy on driver’s points.
• Departments should provide appropriate hands-on training prior to an employee driving a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle.
• Departments will implement procedures for the control of Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles registered to them. Such procedures should include the use of a “sign-out log” for keys.
Employee/Operator Requirements & Standards
• No one under the age of eighteen (18) will operate a University owned Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operator shall wear safety restraints/seat belt when vehicle is in motion and is designed with ROPS, (Roll Over Protection System).
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operators are responsible for the security of ignition keys during the time that a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is assigned to them. Any time a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is unattended, the ignition will be turned off, and the key will be removed from the ignition and kept in the possession of the authorized operator.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operators are not permitted to drive while wearing devices that impede hearing, e.g., stereo headsets, earplugs, etc.
• All passengers must be in seats designed for such use. No passengers are allowed to be transported on the truck bed side rails, wheel wells, tailgates or on the sides of Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles.
• Cell phone usage while driving a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is prohibited.
• Employees will not operate Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles registered to other departments unless the supervisor of the department to which the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is registered has granted prior approval.
Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle Condition and Standard Safety Features
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles owned by Western Oregon University Departments will be equipped and maintained with working headlights, and taillights (two red lights, one each located on the opposite sides at the rear of the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle that stay on during night operations).
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles purchased prior to 8/1/2005 or Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles donated for events without headlights and/or taillights are to be used only during day time operations.
• Electric turn signals are required for night time operation; hand signals suffice for day time operation.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles will be equipped with a working horn or bell and a “Slow Moving Vehicle” sign.
• Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles will not be modified in any manner that affects the recommended mode of operation, speed or safety of the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle.
Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle Maintenance Responsibility
• Golf Carts/Utility Vehicles’ physical condition should be inspected daily prior to operation to insure the vehicle is in a safe condition.
• Each Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle operator is responsible for providing timely notification of safety and maintenance concerns to the supervisor of the department to which the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is registered.
• Supervisors will be responsible for seeing to the timely repair of such concerns and, if the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle cannot be operated safely without said repairs taking place, the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle will be taken “out of service” until the repairs are completed.
• The department of ownership is responsible for the cost of maintenance of the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicles. The department of ownership is responsible for the cost of repairing damage to the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle caused by regular use or an unpreventable accident.
• The department of ownership is responsible for the cost of repairing damage to the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle caused by misuse, abuse or a preventable accident.
Accident Reporting Process
• All accidents involving a Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle will be reported immediately to the supervisor of the department to which the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is registered and to the Campus Public Safety/Risk Management, regardless of whether property damage or personal injury occurred.
Policy Variance Procedure
• If a department administrator believes that a variant of a portion of the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle is warranted, she or he should submit their request for a variance to the Director of Campus Public Safety. If the Director of Campus Public Safety or designee determines that the requested variance is in line with the spirit of this policy, a variance may be granted. If such a variance is granted, the Director of Campus Public Safety will inform the Safety Committee that such a variance has been granted and provide the Committee with the rationale for the variance. The Safety Committee shall take into consideration the Director of Campus Public Safety’s comments as to whether future similar variances are appropriate as an impetus to revise the Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle Policy.
|REFERENCED OR RELATED POLICIES|
|RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND LINKS|
Golf Cart/Utility Vehicle Safety Guidelines Acknowledgement Form
LAST UPDATED: 03/01/2011
HISTORICAL DETAIL NOTES:
SOURCE: Previously Referred to as: FA-CPS-011
|FOR POLICY WEBSITE INPUT (public audience keyword search)|
|Golf Cart, Utility Vehicle|