Donating to Hamersly Library
Hamersly Library welcomes gifts and donations to support and enhance library collections, services, and activities that might otherwise not be available to students and faculty. Gifts are generally expected to supplement existing collections in support of WOU’s curriculum and research or to provide the library with a core of material in which there is a scholarly interest. Contributions benefit the WOU community as well as businesses, public service agencies, and citizens who utilize the resources of this library.
The quality, richness, and diversity of the library’s collections, services, and activities depend to a large extent upon the continuing support of donors.
|Monetary Gifts||Endowments||Archival Materials||Gifts-in-Kind||Tax Deductions|
The library welcomes gifts to support purchases, services, and programs. A monetary gift to the library may be a great opportunity to honor a friend or loved one with a special connection to WOU. Individual gifts can be given to the library through the WOU Foundation. Donors may work with the library in designating special areas of interest or give an unrestricted gift, providing flexibility for the library to select areas of greatest need.
Endowment gifts are invested by the WOU Foundation and provide for continued support of excellence at the Hamersly Library. These funds provide earnings to support the ongoing purchase and conservation of books, journals, and other materials, as well as to enhance programs and services.
The Hamersly Library is currently accepting donations for its Archives on a case-by-case basis. This includes artifacts relating to the university and/or the surrounding area. For questions related to donations or Archives in general, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow staff at least 2 weeks to respond to your email or process any requests.
Gifts of materials are greatly appreciated. Hundreds of titles new to the collections, and within the library’s collecting scope, are added through gifts annually. However, the Hamersly Library cannot promise integration of all donations into its collection for a variety of reasons, including (but not limited to) condition, timeliness/relevance of content, the capability of the library to process the materials, and space restrictions. Because of the high costs associated with processing gifts, the goal is to acquire only materials that are highly relevant to the library’s mission. The library is unable to return gifts to donors.
The Hamersly Library accepts:
- Scholarly books in good condition on all subjects. Newer books are very much appreciated.
- Contiguous runs of scholarly or artistic journals that it does not already have.
- Hardbacks and paperbacks in good condition.
- DVDs or CDs in good condition.
The Hamersly Library does not accept:
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books.
- Fiction and/or textbooks that are older than 5 years.
- Moldy books – these can be hazardous to our collections!
- Books with obvious physical damage – this includes books with water, cover, or spine damage, as well as books with a significant amount of writing and/or highlighting in them.
- VHS, cassette tapes, vinyl records, CD-ROMS, or computer software.
- Pamphlets, catalogs, or popular magazines – including National Geographic.
- Flora, fauna, etc.
- Equipment or furniture.
- Maps, microfilm, microform, or microfiche.
To deliver materials, please make prior arrangements with Brianna McFadden (503-838-8883; email@example.com). If you have over 3 boxes or bags worth of materials, the library staff requires an opportunity to evaluate the collection before you bring it into the library for donation. If your donation is accepted, please bring your items in non-returnable boxes or bags.
You can also send materials to:
Western Oregon University
345 N Monmouth Ave.
Monmouth, OR 97361
Gifts to the Hamersly Library are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. The library staff can provide a statement acknowledging the number of items donated and their format for tax purposes. However, the library is unable to provide a detailed reconstruction of the contents of a gift unless an itemized appraisal or an itemized list was supplied at the time of donation. It is advised that you speak to your financial advisor regarding tax deductions.
Other Options for Donating
Here are donation alternatives for everyone (not an exhaustive list):
- Books for Africa: https://www.booksforafrica.org/donate/donate-books.html
- Goodwill: http://www.goodwill.org/donate-and-shop/donate-stuff/
- PickUp Please: https://pickupplease.org/donate-books/
- The Friends of your local public library