Composer's Workshop VII - 2010-11
Western Oregon University presents its annual Composer's Workshop that features guest composers & performers throughout the academic year. The workshop aims to foster the creation, growth and appreciation of contemporary music in the University's local and regional communities by providing a forum of composition-related topics, presentations, and performances for the following clientele: Composers of any age who are at the early and formative stages of their creative activities; Studio and classroom music teachers engaged in teaching beginning composition techniques; Western Oregon University students and faculty; and Community members.
Workshop VIII: 2011 Featured Guest Composers and Performers:
- MARCH 2nd & 8th, 2011: WOU composition professor Dr. Kevin Walczyk will give two lectures on the composition techniques of his recent Symphony No. 2 "Epitaphs Unwritten", which was recently nominated for the 2011 Pulitzer Prize in Music and the 2012 Grawemeyer Award in Music Composition. These lectures will also discuss recent trends in consortium-commissioning projects and participants will have access to the published score, composer's sketches, and a recording of this 37-minute symphony for large wind ensemble.
Schedule of Events:
- Lecture 1: Wednesday March 2nd, 11 AM, Smith Hall 123
- Lecture 2: Wednesday March 9th, 11 AM, Smith Hall 123
- APRIL 27th & 28th, 2011: The WOU Music Department welcomes German composer/performer Walter Lang and his chamber ensemble for lectures, masterclasses and evening performances.
Schedule of Events:
- Performace: Thursday April 28th, 7:30 PM, Smith Hall 121
- Lectures & Masterclasses: Wednesday April 27th (free & open to the public):
- 8:00 AM (Smith Hall 105): Electronic Music
- 9:00 AM (Smith Hall 122): Contemporary Composition Techniques
- 2:00 PM (Smith Hall 123): Jazz Arranging
The Music Department (503) 838-8275 | or e-mail: email@example.com
Location: Smith Hall