Office of International Education and Development Mission Statement
The mission of the International Education and Development Office is to promote the concept of internationalization cross the campus, and to improve intercultural communication and understanding among WOU’s students, faculty and staff, as well as to support and enhance international students’ and scholars’ academic, cultural, and social interaction at Western Oregon University. The office provides diverse education abroad programs and international opportunities to WOU’s students, faculty, and staff, and supports the university’s goal of increasing participation in and advancing programs that facilitate understanding and the exchange of people and ideas in international and multicultural arenas.
The office also serves as the primary link between international students and visiting scholars, the university and the community. Our office works with international students and visiting scholars from all over the world to make their stays in the U.S. positive, enriching and fulfilling through cross-cultural programs and quality service.
- Promotes globalization and diversity on campus
- Provides information, assistance and consultation on concerns and matters pertaining to international students and scholars
- Explores and executes cooperative programs with international institutions
- Assists international students and scholars in the pursuit of their personal, academic and professional goals
- Facilitates personal and cultural transitions that occur while studying abroad
- Strives to increase international enrollment and involvement at WOU
- Advise students about their study abroad and international internship options and assist them in finding the programs that best meet their needs.
- Provide optimal experiences abroad for students that combine learning inside and outside the classroom.
- Work with students before they leave and after they return to help integrate their experiences into their Western Oregon University undergraduate careers.
- Continuously assess and improve study abroad and international internship programs at WOU.
- Develop opportunities for international exchange and dialogue.
- Strive to be creative, proactive, and responsive, and to emulate and set best practices in the education abroad field.