Housing Renewal FAQ’s
HOUSING RENEWAL – WHAT IS IT?
Housing Renewal is the process that current residents go through to search and contract for the room or apartment of their choice for the coming academic year. The process is entirely online, and this year, we are expecting to run the Housing Renewal process in the month of March. KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR WOU EMAIL FOR DETAILS AND INFORMATION!
WHEN CAN I START UPDATING MY INFORMATION AND LISTING MY ROOMMATES ON THE PORTAL?
For the current year, we plan on releasing a link on the portal will be available in early March to begin the process. Once your start date/time rolls around, GO CHOOSE!
- Access, READ and Understand the Housing Renewal Agreement for the Process.
- Select your preferred roommates. Either use RoomSync (an email was routed to residents in February with this link) to find and match with roommates. Or if you know who you want to room with, email housing with your preferred roommate(s). They will need to to the same for you – to confirm that you BOTH/ALL want to be roommates.
- In March you will be able to see your Room Selection date and start time. PLAN AHEAD. The person with the earliest start time will need to go in asap to make their room/apartment selection and pull in their mutually confirmed roommates with them. Selection start dates/times are based on the date that you FIRST applied to live on campus. To have the greatest selection, you should plan to access the system and make your selection as soon as you can. There will other residents selecting right behind you as their start date/times roll around.
WHY DO I HAVE TO LIST MY ROOMMATES & THEY HAVE TO LIST ME?
We have you do this to confirm that you BOTH want to be roommates. (Sometimes one person wants to be roommates with someone who REALLY does NOT want to be roommates with them.)
WHAT DETERMINES MY SELECTION TIME-SLOT START TIME?
All selection time-slots are assigned based on your current housing application date (the date that you first applied to live on campus). HOWEVER – Do Not Despair if you have a later time-slot. If you know someone with an earlier time-slot and you both want to be roommates, THAT person can – and SHOULD – use their earlier time-slot to go in, make their selection, check the box next to your name (provided that you BOTH listed each other as preferred roommates on the portal), and PULL YOU IN!
NOTE: Once your time-slot begins, you will have access 24-7 to the system to look, and make your selection. Your selection – or being pulled into a room or apartment is FINAL.
I WANT TO BE ROOMMATES WITH SOMEONE WHO LIVES OFF CAMPUS – CAN I DO THAT?
- Sure. Here is what you need to know about pulling in someone from off-campus:
- If you want to live in Arbor Park (Cedar, Noble or Spruce Halls) they must be an upper-division student. (No first-year students in Arbor Park).
- They must pay for the application fee, complete and submit a current Housing Application by the designated deadline. This years date MARCH 5th.
- Preference is given first to off campus people who are ALSO current WOU students, and then to non-WOU individuals. (The above application information applies to both).
I AM NOT SURE WHAT I WANT TO DO NEXT YEAR – SHOULD I SELECT AN ON-CAMPUS SPACE?
If you are unsure of what you want to do, if there is even the SLIGHTEST chance that you may want to live on campus,
YES! – YOU SHOULD GO THROUGH THE HOUSING RENEWAL PROCESS AND RESERVE A SPACE –
HERE IS THE DEAL: IF YOU RESERVE A SPACE – OR ARE PULLED INTO A SPACE – YOU HAVE UNTIL 5 PM ON MAY 1st TO CANCEL WITHOUT FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY!
AS LONG AS YOU CANCEL BY THE DEADLINE, YOU CAN’T LOSE! So if you find something that suits you better, as long as you cancel by the 5 PM MAY 1 DEADLINE, you are free to make a change without financial consequences. IF however, you don’t choose a space during this process and your other plans fall through, and you find yourself this summer with no place lined up to live next year, you will need to apply for housing, pay the Housing Application fee and be placed where we have space for you – wherever and with whomever that might be.
Cancellations received after 5 pm, May 1, 2019 will be subject to the $350 cancellation fee which will be charged to their student account.
WHAT IF I LOOK, BUT DECIDE THAT I DO NOT WANT TO CHOOSE ANYTHING AND NO ONE HAS PULLED ME INTO ANY SELECTION. AM I STILL FINANCIALLY RESPONSIBLE?
REMEMBER. By participating in the process, you agree to the terms of the Housing Renewal Agreement, BUT if you do not select a space or are not pulled into a space you are NOT obligated to anything.