Select Class- and Program-related Highlights
Students in Dr. Kimberly Jensen’s Honors seminar on Oregon Women’s Suffrage History created the Documents Project section of the Century of Action webpage. They also presented the results of their archival research and transcription at a special event at the Oregon State Capitol featuring Secretary of State Kate Brown and other dignitaries. (View the commemorative video of this class’s work at www.wou.edu/woutv (search for “Century of Action”)) This professional activity continued the following year, too, with additional presentations at the Willamette Heritage Center and the state legislature, testifying in support of a resolution regarding the Oregon Women Suffrage Centennial.
Students in Dr. Molly Mayhead’s Communication and Civic Action class completed numerous projects bridging theory and practice. Project highlights included fundraisers to send students to Outdoor School, informational sessions about disposable water bottles and fair-trade products, and radio public service announcements about pet adoption.
Students in the Prison Writing seminar taught by Drs. Steve Gibbons and David Murphy not only read original works by Oregon inmates but also travelled to the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem, where they discussed these works and other subjects with the inmates themselves.
Annually, students in the Honors theater class travel to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival to attend three plays.
Pastega Award for Faculty Excellence (in Teaching and Scholarship) recipients participating in Honors:
- Katherine Schmidt, Department of English, Excellence in Teaching
- Kimberly Jensen, Department of History, Excellence in Scholarship
- Mark Girod, Division of Teacher Education, Excellence in Scholarship
- Kit Andrews, Department of English, Excellence in Teaching
- Diane Baxter, Music Department, Excellence in Teaching and also in Scholarship
- Cornelia Paraskevas, Department of English, Excellence in Teaching
- Gavin Keulks, Department of English, Excellence in Scholarship
(503) 838-8519 | or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org