Mental Health & Counseling
Any student of WOU, registered for at least 6 credit hours, or has paid the Student Health Fee is eligible to access the counseling center.
All services are confidential, and students who have paid the health fee have access to unlimited appointments.
Students in crisis will be seen immediately, and do not require an appointment. If you think you are (or a friend is) in crisis, please get to a safe place and call us: (503) 838-8396 or Campus Public Safety (503) 838-9000.
Frequently asked questions:
Click here for a list of our most frequently asked questions from students at WOU.
If you would like to make an appointment call 503-838-8396 or stop by the counseling center. Students in crisis are seen immediately.
Types of counseling services offered:
- Counselors are state licensed professional counselors, counseling trainees and graduate-level counseling interns.
- For the 2017-2018 academic year, there are 7 members on our counseling staff.
- The most commonly diagnosed mental health illness in the USA is anxiety.
- Counseling in the community (outside of the SHCC) can run from $100-200 an hour. Because our appointments are free, college is a great, affordable time to try counseling!
If you would like to make an appointment, or for more information, call 503-838-8396 or stop by the counseling center. Students in crisis are seen immediately.
Support Groups & Workshops
Throughout the year there will be opportunities to join a group or attend workshops offered by our counseling staff. Students that pay the SHCC fee may attend at no cost, but some groups may require an intake appointment prior to joining. Past topics include, but are not limited to:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Support Group
- Self Care Group
- Grief and Loss Workshop Series
- Alive & Thriving Counseling Support Group
- “Madly in Love with ME!” A “Daring Adventure” Group for Women
What groups are happening this term?