Home » M.S. in Education
M.S. in Education
The MSEd program option is intended for teachers and other education professionals who want to enhance their understanding of theory and practice. Students engage in evidence based decision-making, critical, innovative, and creative thinking, and problem solving as they apply to a professional education context. The MSEd program is open both to licensed educators and those who are not licensed but have an interest in pursuing one or more areas of education. The MSEd program does not lead to a teaching license. (The Master of Arts in Teaching does.)
To start, you need:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Background or Interest in Education
Finishing will take:
- 5-6 terms for full time students; 2-3 years for part-time students, but varies on individual timelines
- 45 credits
- A master’s thesis, professional project, or advanced professional specialty proficiency
Begin your Master of Science in Education program:
Where you will take classes:
- On campus/face to face
- Online/distance fall, winter, spring, and summer
- Hybrid-online and campus/face to face
Technology you will need:
- Internet connection
Teaching licensure is not required
Where this degree can take you:
- Enhancing of Teaching P-12
- Prominent leadership roles in the field of education
- Preparation for doctoral programs
- Education related positions in government, nonprofits, recreation, environmental education centers, and museums
What you will learn:
The Master of Science in Education (MS in Ed) degree provides a critical, advanced, and intellectually rigorous curriculum in which education professionals can advance their knowledge of the teaching/learning process, demonstrate an exemplary level of competence in all aspects of teaching, increase their knowledge of content information and materials, and show their commitment to professional excellence and leadership in education. The MSEd degree responds to the well documented need to develop a cadre of professional educators who demonstrate advanced knowledge in standards-based education and who are capable of assisting others to reach the professional level of teaching. Responsibilities of master teachers go beyond the typical classroom as they are called upon to design and implement new programs and work in collaborative settings.
- Effectively apply the professional content expertise, knowledge, skills, and dispositions of their education profession.
- Use research and evidence to develop environments that support and assess learning and their own professional practice.
- Show commitment to and develop professional education leadership attributes.