Home » M.A. Teaching (Initial License) Hybrid Online
M.A. Teaching (Initial License) Hybrid/Online Option
The online teaching certificate degree at WOU is designed for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree in a subject area and wish to pursue licensure in teaching. The program culminates in a master’s degree and initial licensure at the middle/high school level only. The objective of the program is to provide in-depth preparation in the theory of pedagogy of teaching. Students complete student teaching and a final Action Research Project. This program is also offered as a campus-based masters of teaching.
To start, you need:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Passing teacher preparation test scores (link to more information)
- Completed application packet
Finishing will take:
- The MAT online/hybrid program takes 6 terms to complete, approximately a year and a half
- 56 credits
- An Action Research Project
Begin your online Master of Arts in Teaching program:
Online/hybrid: Winter and Summer terms
Where you will take classes:
- Online/distance summer, fall, winter, and spring
Technology you will need:
- Internet connection
- Video conferencing capability (e.g. Skype)
- Printer (optional)
Where the MAT online degree can take you:
- Middle/high school teaching licensure
What you will learn:
University courses are closely linked to classroom experience so teacher candidates can explore theories and practices learned in their studies. Cohorts allow candidates to work together to complete the online masters in education program. Teaching proficiencies that define what teachers should know and be able to do upon completion of the program are threaded through each course. Assessment of the proficiencies occurs through classroom activities, course assignments, teaching evaluations, and production of two work samples. (Program overview and FAQs)
- Plan instruction that supports student progress in learning and is appropriate for the development level of students.
- Establish a classroom climate conducive to learning.
- Engage students in planned learning activities through the Work Sample Methodology.