Elementary Mathematics Specialist (K-8) Specialization/Certificate
Steps in applying to EMS (K-8) Specialization program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Meet an advisor and complete Specialization contract
Re-enrollment or Non-Admit Policy:
Graduate students who have previously completed a program at Western Oregon University may be eligible to re-enroll as a graduate student by completing the re-enrollment application. There is a $15 fee associated with this application and EMS (K-8) advisor approval is required via signature on the form.
Students receiving non-admit credit for their Math courses may complete no more than 15 credits of non-admit graduate coursework to be applied to their EMS (K-8) specialization. If you have any questions in regards to either of these policies, please contact the graduate programs office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines and key dates:
You may apply to the program any term.
Detailed application requirements:
Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission online.
- $60 application fee
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- GPA requirement: Students with less than 3.0 can also provide passing MAT/GRE scores to be fully admitted. A student who has an undergraduate GPA of 2.50 to 2.99 can be admitted conditionally for the first 9 credit hours. Students can petition for conditional graduate admission via the graduate student general petition located on the graduate office website. *Conditionally admitted students will not be able to receive financial aid until they become fully admitted students and a program plan is on file.
Apply for EMS (K-8) Specialization/Certificate program admission:
After meeting university requirements, applicants must meet in person with an EMIL advisor to complete and sign an EMS (K-8) Specialization Contract.