Home » Elementary Mathematics Instructional Leader (EMIL) Specialization » EMIL: Application RequirementsMenu
Elementary Mathematics Instructional Leader Specialization/Certificate
Your best preparation for the EMIL Specialization program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Oregon teaching license
- Washington teachers are eligible for this program too!
Steps in applying to EMIL Specialization program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Meet an advisor and complete Specialization contract
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 10 days of receiving all application materials.
Re-enrollment or Non-Admit Policy:
Graduate students who have previously completed a program at Western Oregon University may be eligible to re-enroll as a graduate student by completing the re-enrollment application. There is a $15 fee associated with this application and EMIL advisor approval is required via signature on the form.
Students receiving non-admit credit for their Math courses may complete no more than 15 credits of non-admit graduate coursework to be applied to their EMIL specialization. If you have any questions in regards to either of these policies, please contact the graduate programs office at email@example.com.
Deadlines and key dates:
Graduate students may apply to the program any term.
- Apply directly to Graduate Programs as soon as possible for priority review and registration.
Detailed application requirements:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:
We welcome applications from residents of most states. Distance students in other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 107. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the EMIL Specialization program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- $60 application fee
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- Applicants not meeting the minimum GPA requirement may be considered with a passing score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Minimum required score for the MAT: 395. Minimum required score for the GRE Verbal Reasoning: 148, Quantitative Reasoning: 147, Analytical Writing: 3.5
- Apply for EMIL Specialization/Certificate program admission:
After meeting university requirements, applicants must meet in person with an EMIL advisor to complete and sign an EMIL Specialization Contract.
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)