Home » Elementary Mathematics Instructional Leader (EMIL) Specialization » EMIL: Application Requirements
Elementary Mathematics Instructional Leader Specialization/Certificate
Your best preparation for the EMIL Specialization program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Oregon teaching license
Steps in applying to EMIL Specialization program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Meet an advisor and complete Specialization contract
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 10 days of receiving all application materials.
Re-enrollment or Non-Admit Policy:
Graduate students who have previously completed a program at Western Oregon University may be eligible to re-enroll as a graduate student by completing the re-enrollment application. There is a $15 fee associated with this application and EMIL advisor approval is required via signature on the form.
Students receiving non-admit credit for their Math courses may complete no more than 15 credits of non-admit graduate coursework to be applied to their EMIL specialization. If you have any questions in regards to either of these policies, please contact the graduate programs office at email@example.com.
Deadlines and key dates:
Graduate students may apply to the program any term.
- Apply directly to Graduate Programs as soon as possible for priority review and registration.
Detailed application requirements:
- Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:
We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama and Maryland at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 107. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the EMIL Specialization program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- $60 application fee
- Sealed official transcripts: From the college or university that granted your bachelor’s degree and from all other institutions of higher education where you completed coursework. A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 in the last 90 quarter hours (60 semester hours) of coursework is required. If you have less than a 3.0 GPA, you can be admitted with sufficient MAT or GRE scores (see next point). Students who have already obtained a master’s degree from an accredited institution will have their GPA requirement waived.
- MAT or GRE score: If your GPA is 3.0 or higher, you do not have to submit test scores. If your GPA is less than 3.0, your minimum required score for the (a) MAT: 395 or higher; (b) GRE: minimum quantitative score: 147 and minimum verbal score: 148 and a 3.5 or higher on the Analytical Writing section.
- Apply for EMIL Specialization program admission:
After meeting university requirements, applicants must meet in person with an EMIL advisor to complete and sign an EMIL Specialization Contract.
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)
You can rely on the people behind the EMIL program to help you become a professional in the field of mathematics education. Ask us questions-about the process, about the field, or about your career. We look forward to your contributions to this field.