Autism Spectrum Disorders Specialization
Your best preparation for the ASD Specialization program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Valid teaching license
- Experience teaching special education
Steps in applying to ASD Specialization program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 7 days of receiving all application materials. All students that meet university requirements will be accepted into ASD program.
Deadlines and key dates:
Graduate students may apply to the program any term.
- The first course in the series is offered summer and winter terms.
Detailed application requirements:
- Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:
We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama and Maryland at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 107. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the ASD Specialization program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- $60 application fee
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- Applicants not meeting the minimum GPA requirement may be considered with a passing score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Minimum required score for the MAT: 395. Minimum required score for the GRE Verbal Reasoning: 148, Quantitative Reasoning: 147, Analytical Writing: 3.5
- ASD Specialization admission:
After meeting university requirements, applicants must meet in person with an Dr. Mickey Pardew to complete and sign an ASD Specialization Contract.
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)
The ASD Program courses are taught by professionals with extensive backgrounds in special education and Autism Spectrum Disorders. We are more than happy to help you navigate through this process to become a specialist in the industry!