Historic Gentle House has been in use, by the public and Western, as an event center since 1983. The Gentle Family loved to entertain; their house was donated to the WOU Foundation by Catharine Gentle after she passed away so that it could continue to be a link between the community and university.
Contact us today to make a reservation!
Sitting next to Gentle Acres, Century Farm, and surrounding Gentle House, the gardens are home to century old plants as well as tress that predate the house itself.
Upkeep of the gardens is made possible by Polk County Master Gardeners and Friends of Gentle House Volunteers.
Historic Gentle House was built around 1880 by the Butlers. It was sold to Thomas Gentle in 1914 and was lived in by Gentles until Catharine's death in 1983. Many of the furnishings and artifacts throughout the house were donated by members of the Gentle Family. The old house and museum are decorated in the style of the 1920's, the time when the majority of the family was living in the home.
Visit our open museum for more information and stories.
National Day of Service