Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

Required tests for teacher candidates

NEWS - CBEST has been retired in Oregon. The NES Essential Academic Skills Test (EAS) replaced CBEST as of Aug. 6, 2011. EAS is available year-round by registering for a date and time at an approved computer test center.


Note: Oregon's TSPC continues to honor passing scores for CBEST. Please talk with your adviser for details.

Other testing questions not answered here?

The two paths to a teaching license (Initial I Licensure) within the Division of Teacher Education are the undergraduate/post-baccalaureate program and the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT).


In Oregon, teaching licenses are available for specific ages and/or grades (see below for list of authorization levels). At certain points in a teaching license program, teacher candidates must pass specific knowledge tests.


Click here for full test information, help, and to sign up.


Authorization levels

  • Early Childhood Only - Age 3 through grade 4 in an elementary school only
  • Early Childhood/Elementary - Age 3 through grade 8 in an elementary school only
  • Elementary/Middle (two options) - Grades 3 through 9 in an elementary school or middle school only
    • with a content endorsement
    • without a content endorsement (while this is an option, we don't recommend it since it only allows you to teach in a self-contained middle school classroom and doesn't give "Highly Qualified" status.)
  • Middle/High - Grades 5 through 12 in a middle or high school only
  • High School Only - Grades 9 through 12 in a high school only

We've developed an advising guide for each authorization level. Click to view.

[back to tests homepage]


Division of Teacher Education 503-838-8471 | or e-mail:
Location: Ed 202H