|Events for 2012
Feb. 24: 9th Annual Future Teachers Conference, 8:30a.m. to 3 p.m. in Werner University Center, Low cost to WOU students and lunch is included, Great opportunity to gain insight and an edge in the teaching field. Sponsor: ASCD student chapter.
ASCD is a national organization of more than 175,000 educational professionals in 119 countries. Founded in 1943, the mission of the organization is to “Develop programs, products, and services essential to the way educators learn, teach, and lead.” Formerly named the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, the organization is now known as ASCD. The WOU student chapter of ASCD was established in early 2010 and continues to flourish with new members.
Benefits of joining ASCD now Access to resources:
- Receive the monthly magazine Educational Leadership, which provides practical advice and discusses current issues important to you as a future educator.
- Purchase books at a discount and get a newsletter discussing some of the most current and relevant issues affecting education today.
- Access the ASCD Web site.
- With your membership number and password, you can access full contents of every issue of Educational Leadership ever published and search the archives by subject for research articles on your particular topic.
- In a time when you need to stand above the rest, being an ASCD member and staying informed about current educational issues gives you a professional edge. Add it to your resume.
- Meet, collaborate with, and get to know other educational professionals already in the field as well as discuss current issues that will affect your daily practice as a teacher.
How to join the WOU chapter
2012 - 2013 WOU ASCD Student Chapter officers
|Student Organization Representative
|| Tia Maslen
Full time students at WOU are eligible for a special price of $25 a year to receive full membership benefits. (Regular annual membership is $49.) Visit https://shop.ascd.org/mymembership/nl_myaccount_membership.cfm and fill out the required information. Please indicate Western Oregon University as your institution and use Priority Renewal Code V78 to receive the discounted student price and pay with a credit card. If you prefer to send a check, download and print the form, fill it out, and send it to Constituent Services at the address listed on the bottom of the form.
Previously hosted events/activities
- iTeach event: This workshop was taught by one of our very own graduates, Bill Hamlin, and focused on the use of technology (particularly Apple's) in the classroom. It was a very relevant and practical talk as we all know students today are using many technological devices from computers to cell phones, iPod’s and more. The focus was on using this medium to reach our students in authentic ways that lead to learning. We raffled off a new iTouch generously donated by Apple and the lucky WOU ASCD member to win was Kenny Cinnamon!
- Meeting with Marylhurst Chapter: Spring term we traveled to Marylhurst College to meet with the only other ASCD Student Chapter in Oregon. It was great to meet with them and get their perspective on a student chapter’s role. We hope to collaborate on a project with them in the future and appreciate them sharing their experiences thus far as we get up and running as a new chapter.
We welcome questions: firstname.lastname@example.org . 503-838-8376 . Education Building Room 101