How to upload video files to activities or resources in Moodle
Acceptable video file formats: .flv, .f4v, .swf, .webm, .m4v, .ogv, .mov, .mp4, .m4a, .wmv, .avi
Important Note: Please avoid uploading large videos to Moodle. It is recommended that your instructional videos are no longer than 10 minutes. If you have 3rd party videos to share with
students, please contact DMC http://www.wou.edu/library/dmc/.
If you have a deaf or hard of hearing student in your course the Office of Disability Services (ODS) will transcribe or caption your media for you to make it ADA compliant. You will be notified in advance of the course start date that captioned media is required based on a disability. The captioning process can take up to 2 weeks. There are two options for having your videos captioned in a Moodle course.
- Within Moodle: You can grant Louann Casares from the Office of Disability Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) ODS Staff access to your course. ODS Staff access will provide Louann access to all of the videos listed in your Moodle course. Once she has copied all of the videos for processing, Moodle access can be removed.
- Through email: You can request captioning for your digital videos by emailing the video link to email@example.com. Include your class subject, course number and the approximate “show by” date.
- Open the Moodle course
- Navigate to the top right corner and select the “Turn editing on” button
- Locate and click on the component (such as in an assignment, or a lesson) that the image will be added to
- Select the “Edit settings” option and the settings page will display
- In the “Description” text box select the “Insert Moodle media” icon (see image 1a below)
- The “Insert Moodle media” dialog box will display, select the “Find or upload a sounds, video, or applet” link.
- In the “File picker” select “Upload a file” then select “Choose file” (see image 1b below)
- Browse and choose a video file and select the “Open” button
- To ensure the video was chosen the title will be displayed on the right side of the
“Choose File” button
10. Next, select the “Upload this file” located at the bottom of the “File picker” dialog boxImportant note: During the uploading process the message “Can not preview media” may display. Proceed with selecting the “Insert” button.11. Choose the “Insert” button (bottom left corner)
12. The video will be displayed as a blue link in the “Description” text box
13. Select either “Save and return to course” or “Save and display” (bottom of page)
[Image 1a: Insert Moodle Media Icon]
[Image 1b: Choosing a file]