Export the Question Bank
How to export the Moodle question bank to a file
This tutorial demonstrates how to save a group from the question bank into an editable file that can be saved on a computer or drive.
● All export formats will not retain the entirety of the data or certain question types.
When performing an export of questions, pay attention to the export format.
● Exporting and backing up question banks is recommended after every term. This can be especially important if changes were made to questions throughout the term.
- Open the Moodle course
- Go to the “Administration” block and select “Question bank” (left side)
- From the expanded menu select the “Export” option
- Under “File format” select the radio button of your preferred output format (left side)
a. Gift format
i. Question types supported: multiple choice, true-false, short answer, matching, missing word, numerical, essay
ii. Can be imported into a lesson module or question bank iii. Can be used to create Word or spreadsheet documents
b. Moodle XML format
i. Question types supported: multiple choice, true/false, short answer, numerical response, matching, essay
ii. Can be imported into a lesson, activity, or Moodle’s question bank iii. Can be used to create Word or spreadsheet documents
c. XHTML format
i. Simple export of questions within a category and answers are not included
- Go to the “Export category” option to select the question category to be exported
- When finished select “Export questions to file”
- The download dialog box will display select “Save as”