Create a Custom Scale
Scales can be used in place of traditional grading, which uses a point value system.
A scale is an ordered list of values which range from negative to positive, and they can be created with both alpha and numerical values. Scales can be used to grade an activity, or they be used for course outcomes.
- Open the Moodle course
- Go to the “Course administration” block (left side) and select “Grades”
- Select the “Scales” tab from the toolbar
- Select “Add a new scale” (bottom of page)
- Input a name for the custom scale
- Next, you will need to list the scale components in the “Scale” text box
- Begin with the lowest component and move to the highest component
- Separate each component with a comma
- Example Scale: poor, fair, average, above average, excellent
- Enter an optional “Description” of the scale
- When finished select “Save changes” (bottom of page)