Home » Requesting Books on CD
Current Students of ODS
Requesting Books in an alternate format
1. The Office of Disability Services (ODS) provides alternative text formats for students who are approved alternative format accommodations with ODS.
2. ODS converts text books, documents and articles to an alternative format (doc, pdf, braille, large print, audio, and more) upon student request.
3. To request text books in an audio, doc, pdf, or other format, submit the Alternative Format Request form to ODS at least two (2) weeks in advance. Please contact ODS if you need assistance in filling out the form. The Alternative Format Request form is available in the ODS office.
4. To request articles or documents in alternative format, email your article or document to firstname.lastname@example.org at least three (3) days in advance.
5. Students must show proof of ownership of any text book that is submitted for alteration. Evidence of ownership includes the hard copy book or receipt showing purchase of the book.
6. ODS will not cut the binding from books that are on loan or rented without permission from the loaning or renting entity.
7. Processing Times:
- Text Books require two (2) weeks processing time
- Articles or documents require three (3) days processing time
- ODS will notify you if they are not able to abide by the processing time
8. ODS welcome any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. Please do not hesitate to contact us.
9. Converting textbooks to digital format is a four step process.
- We seek an alternative copy from the publisher, if it’s not available, we cut the binding off the book. This is necessary for the text to run properly through the scanner.
- Once the book is scanned we convert it from image files to text and edit it to make sure it’s readable; that is, the computer didn’t misunderstand the book.
- After editing is finished, then we change it to WORD.doc, pdf, enlarged text, braille, or run the text to audio – This means the computer reads the text to an audio format.
- Now that all the work is finished, all we have to do is burn them to a compact disc and make a label.
10. Remember the conversion process was made to enable you, the user, to understand your text more completely. Why not take advantage of the program? Instead of simply dropping off your books, sit down for a moment or make an appointment to talk to the Accommodations Coordinator about the different study tools, including;
- Different Voices per subject
- Voice Speeds.
- Highlighting important text, how to make a study guide and notes from the text