Home » Application Process
Interpreter Internships Application Process and checklist
The following are all required prior to acceptance to the internship placement:
- Completed application form online
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation provided by two of the following:
a) a deaf consumer,
b) interpreter Education Program professor,
c) a previous mentor,
d) a past employer in an interpreting related field,
e) a colleague in the interpreting field.
- Assessment of your skills.
• If you are a local intern, you will be asked to come into the Office of Disability Services for an interview and skills assessment.
This video will not be required.
• If you are not in the local area, submit video sample of your work. See directions for video segment below.
- Interview (scheduled after applicant’s materials are received)
Directions for the video segment:
- Signed introduction of self (approximately 5 minutes) explaining your name, background, reasoning for applying for this internship, your goals in the field of interpreting, and a fun comment.
- The next examples of work provided are unrehearsed.
OFFICE OF DISABILITY SERVICES Voice: (503) 838-8250 | VideoPhone: (503) 512-5258 | Fax: (503) 838-8721 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Location: APSC room 405 | Opening Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00AM - 5:00PM) "If you have a disability that may require some accommodation in order to participate in a Western Oregon University class or activity, please notify the Office of Disability Services at 503-838-8250 or email@example.com at least 3 business days in advance. To request an interpreter, please fill out the INTERPRETER REQUEST FORM."