The Aquatic Center is housed within the Health and Wellness Center and includes both the historic Wolverton Memorial swimming pool and therapy pool. The facility is open for year-round aquatic exercise classes, lap and open swimming, swim lessons and many more aquatic activities.
The swimming pool was named for Mr. Grant S. Wolverton (son of John and Mary Jane Wolverton), OCE alumnus 1883.
The late Mr. Wolverton left a grant of $80,000 for the construction of this pool. Additional funds to cover construction costs were granted by the Oregon State Board of Higher Education so that an outstanding pool would be assured. Oregon College of Education (Western Oregon University’s name from 1939-1980) is one of the few small schools to have swimming pool facility of such high quality, and this pool is indeed something of which OCE students, faculty, and staff are most proud. Construction was started in the fall of 1954 and was completed in the spring of 1955.