Student Absence Notification Request Form
Student Absence Notification Information
In the case of an unforeseen emergency that will keep a student from attending class (generally more than one day), the student success team can help relay information to faculty in a timely manner. Please fill out the form below and submit it. If you are unable to return the form electronically, please call 503-838-8428 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of this form does not fulfill the student’s responsibility to maintain communication with their faculty. Faculty may require written documentation corroborating your absence(s) for emergencies including, but not limited to: death in the family, illness, or car accidents. Please submit documentation as part of your request or bring a hard copy to the Student Success and Advising office in the Advising Center.
Class absences can ONLY be excused by your faculty, except for absences related to military obligations. Notification of absences by the student success team is intended to provide students a method of relaying documented information to their respective faculty. All information is subject to an independent review and confirmation process by the Student Success and Advising office.
1. How much detail should I provide about my situation?
– Explain it for someone who knows nothing about you or your situation, but be concise. Provide evidence, such as a medical note for an illness, or service program for a funeral. Without enough information, your request may not be forwarded to your respective faculty.
If your Student Absence Notification will require an explanation that discloses confidential information related to sexual harassment or sexual violence, start the process by visiting Abby’s House or the Student Health and Counseling Center to speak with a professional staff member that serves as a confidential employee. Non-confidential professional staff, faculty, and student staff members are required by federal law to report to a University official information disclosed that is related to sexual harassment or sexual violence and an investigation will result.
Confidential employees are not required to make a report to a University official and will typically not share information without your permission. However, they may be required or allowed to share information in certain circumstances. For example, if a court order is presented, if they have reason to believe that a student is at high risk for suicide, or violence toward others, or if a minor is being abused.
2. How private is the process?
– The information will remain protected in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, which limits the sharing of information to institutional officials who only have an academic need-to-know.
3. What kind of documentation should I provide?
– Documentation may include, but is not limited to, a copy of airline tickets, gas receipts, funeral program, obituary, vehicle accident report, medical records, etc. For full consideration, documentation needs to be provided for your absence notification to be sent to faculty. If you are unable to provide documentation at this time, the student success team will follow up with you to request the documentation and forward your request.